Parallel magnet B-field strength

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential increase in magnetic field strength when using multiple magnets, specifically in the context of a particle accelerator. The use of a permanent magnet with a copper coil electromagnet is also mentioned as a possible solution to reduce power consumption. The conversation also addresses potential limitations and losses in field strength when stacking multiple magnets together.
girts
, simple, Now I wonder what happens, I have a say speaker magnet or more precisely only the metal end plates that direct the b field lines or any other metal plate designed to guide a b field into a gap of sorts.
Say I now apply a permanent neodymium magnet which has a magnetic field strength of say 1T.
I then take one more such magnet like the one before with the same parameters and place on the existing one, what happens to the b field strength in the gap, does it doubles?
I kind of want to think that it should but I'm not really sure,

or for example someone who is building a cyclotron considers using a magnet of certain strength for the b field, an electromagnet but we know that unless cooled to superconducting phase a copper coil electromagnet will have a resistance and with large amperage running through it for a high b field strength will consume lots of power, now what would happen if he needed say a 1.6T b field but got a 1T permanent magnet, could the permanent magnet be added with a smaller electromagnet which together with the permanent magnet would create the necessary field strength in which case the electromagnet could be smaller and consume less energy?
The values mentioned are only theoretical and for the sake of the argument.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a useful google search exercise. Search terms: particle accelerator permanent magnet.

You are right although that particular search phrase wasnt too good i concluded that two identical magnets put properly together create nearly double the field strength but i assume that there are some loses as one would put more and more magnets together the space between them increases and so eventually the field would reach a maximum after which it could no longer increase right? Otherwise we could have an infinite length of magnets stacked together withan infinite field strength at ends? Surely doesn't sound right

1. What is a parallel magnet B-field?

A parallel magnet B-field refers to the magnetic field produced by two parallel magnets with opposite poles facing each other. It is a type of magnetic field that is created when two magnets are placed close together in a parallel position.

2. How is the strength of a parallel magnet B-field measured?

The strength of a parallel magnet B-field is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). This measurement is taken using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of a parallel magnet B-field?

The strength of a parallel magnet B-field is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two magnets, the size and strength of the magnets, and the alignment of the poles. The strength of the B-field also decreases with distance from the magnets.

4. How does the strength of a parallel magnet B-field impact its magnetic force?

The strength of a parallel magnet B-field directly affects the magnetic force between the two magnets. A stronger B-field will result in a stronger magnetic force, pulling the two magnets closer together. This force is also dependent on the distance between the magnets and their size and orientation.

5. How is a parallel magnet B-field used in scientific research and technology?

Parallel magnet B-fields have many practical applications in scientific research and technology. They are used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce detailed images of the body, and in particle accelerators to steer and control the movement of charged particles. They are also used in various industrial and manufacturing processes, such as separating and sorting materials based on their magnetic properties.