Parameter Estimation, Non Linear Least Squares, Newton-Raphson

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of the Newton Raphson method for estimating a set of parameters in Matlab. The speaker has already implemented the Levenberg-Marquart algorithm and is now looking to improve accuracy with the Newton Raphson method. They have doubts about evaluating the Hessian matrix and have provided equations for approximating second derivatives. The speaker also shares their code for the algorithm and for evaluating the derivatives.
VVS
Hello,

Homework Statement

I want to estimate a set of parameters by trying to minimize the sum of squares wrt to the parameter set given a simulation of a markov process and real data in Matlab. I have already implemented the Levenberg-Marquart (LM) Algorithm and it is converging to certain values and it is reasonably good.

But now I want to implement the Newton Raphson method, since it (should be) is more accurate. I don't care how long it will take. I am pretty sure that I am evaluating the Jacobian correctly since I am using it in the LM Algorithm. However I have doubts evaluating the Hessian Matrix:

First, I approximately calculate the 2nd derivatives of my Simulation wrt to all parameters using the equation attached below as "2nd derivative approximation for diagonal elements" for diagonal elements and using the equation attached below as "2nd derivative approximation for off diagonal elements" for off diagonal elements.

To evaluate the derivatives I have to step the parameter values one by one (in this case by 1%) and simulate the model (see 2nd block of code). I am not sure whether I did this correctly. My second doubt about the Hessian is the first term given in the equation. We have to sum over i and multiply the residual by the Hessian matrix. The residual ri(theta) is a n x 1 vector where n is the number of data points and Hi(theta)is a p x p x n Matrix where p is the number of parameters. I am not sure if I have implemented this correctly in the code (see 1st block of code).

Homework Equations

Hessian:
hessian.jpg

2nd derivative approximation for diagonal elements
second_derivative.jpg

2nd derivative approximation for off diagonal elements
second_derivative_off_diagonal.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

The Algorithm
Code:
function [parameter_values]=Newton2

% load data to fit
data=load('WLMSR_Traces_Exp.mat');
Data_Current=data.WLMSR_10V;
Data_Time=data.time;

% initialize starting parameter values
alpha1 = 0.022348;
zalpha1 = 0.01176;
beta1 = 0.047002000000000002;
zbeta1 = -0.0631;
Kf = 0.023761000000000001;
Kb = 0.036777999999999998;
alpha2 = 0.013733;
zalpha2 = 0.038198;
beta2 = 6.8899999999999994e-005;
zbeta2 = -0.04178;

% initialize parameter names
parameter_values=[alpha1; zalpha1; beta1; zbeta1; Kf; Kb; alpha2; zalpha2; beta2; zbeta2];
parameter_names = cell(size(parameter_values));
parameter_names{1}='alpha1';
parameter_names{2}='zalpha1';
parameter_names{3}='beta1';
parameter_names{4}='zbeta1';
parameter_names{5}='Kf';
parameter_names{6}='Kb';
parameter_names{7}='alpha2';
parameter_names{8}='zalpha2';
parameter_names{9}='beta2';
parameter_names{10}='zbeta2';

% initialize file names
input_file_string='WLMSR_Model.txt';
output_file_string='WLMSR_Model_New.txt';
experiment_file_string='10.exp';

% initialize Simulation parameters
Simulation_Step_Time=2.5;
Simulation_Time=15000;
offset=5000;
subsampling_rate=3;

iterations=2;

for i=1:iterations

fprintf('Iteration start time was\n');
    c = clock;
    disp(datestr(datenum(c(1),c(2),c(3),c(4),c(5),c(6))));

[Simulation_Current_0] = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

residual=Data_Current-Simulation_Current_0;

J = Evaluate_Jacobian(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

g = -2*transpose(J)*residual;

% Compute Hessian Matrix

[h] = Evaluate_h(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate, Data_Current);

H = 0;

for j=1:length(residual)

H = H + residual(j)* h(:,:,j);

end

H = -2*(H - transpose(J)*J);

parameter_values = parameter_values - H\g

fprintf('Iteration end time was\n');
    c = clock;
    disp(datestr(datenum(c(1),c(2),c(3),c(4),c(5),c(6))));

end
end

Evaluating h
Code:
function [h] = Evaluate_h(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate, Data_Current)

for i=1:length(parameter_values)

for j=i:length(parameter_values)

if j~=i

%Compute Sum of Squares at 1,1
            parameter_values_dummy=parameter_values;
            parameter_values_dummy(i)=parameter_values(i)*1.01;
            parameter_values_dummy(j)=parameter_values(j)*1.01;
            Simulation_Current_11 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%Compute Sum of Squares at 1,-1
            parameter_values_dummy(i)=parameter_values(i)*1.01;
            parameter_values_dummy(j)=parameter_values(j)*0.99;
            Simulation_Current_1m1 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%Compute Sum of Squares at -1,1
            parameter_values_dummy(i)=parameter_values(i)*0.99;
            Simulation_Current_m11 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%Compute Sum of Squares at -1,-1
            parameter_values_dummy(i)=parameter_values(i)*0.99;
            Simulation_Current_m1m1 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%step sizes
            step_size_1=0.01*parameter_values(i);
            step_size_2=0.01*parameter_values(j);

%Compute Derivative
            h(i,j,:)=(Simulation_Current_11-Simulation_Current_1m1-Simulation_Current_m11+Simulation_Current_m1m1)/(4*step_size_1*step_size_2);
            h(j,i,:)=h(i,j,:);

elseif j==i

%Compute Current at 0
            Simulation_Current_0 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%Compute Current at +1
            Simulation_Current_1 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%Compute Current at -1
            Simulation_Current_m1 = Simulate1(input_file_string, output_file_string, parameter_names, parameter_values_dummy, experiment_file_string, Simulation_Step_Time, Simulation_Time, offset, subsampling_rate);

%step size
            step_size=0.01*parameter_values(j);

%Compute Derivative
            h(i,j,:)=(Simulation_Current_1+Simulation_Current_m1-2*Simulation_Current_0)/(step_size^2);

end

end

end

Physics news on Phys.org
Just two remarks:
1- from a numerical analysis standpoint: in my experience, a 1% variation to estimate derivatives is too large by several orders of magnitudes - unless your function is exceptionally smooth (and flat)
2- from a software test&development standpoint: did you test your code with some simple test cases, whose result you already know by some other mean?

1. What is parameter estimation?

Parameter estimation is the process of finding the best values for the parameters of a mathematical model that fits a given set of data. It involves using statistical techniques to calculate the most likely values for the unknown parameters based on the available data and assumptions about the model.

2. What is Non-Linear Least Squares?

Non-linear least squares is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best fit for a non-linear model by minimizing the sum of the squares of the differences between the observed data and the predicted values from the model. It is often used in parameter estimation to find the best values for the model parameters.

3. How does the Newton-Raphson method work?

The Newton-Raphson method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots of a non-linear equation. It involves choosing an initial guess for the root and then using the derivative of the function to calculate a better estimate for the root in each iteration. It repeats this process until it converges to a solution that satisfies a specified accuracy.

4. What are the advantages of using Newton-Raphson method for parameter estimation?

The Newton-Raphson method is a fast and efficient algorithm for finding the roots of non-linear equations, making it a popular choice for parameter estimation. It also allows for the use of more complex and non-linear models, as it can handle multiple parameters and interactions between them. Additionally, it provides a measure of the accuracy of the estimated parameters.

5. What are the limitations of the Newton-Raphson method for parameter estimation?

One limitation of the Newton-Raphson method is that it requires an initial guess for the root, which may be difficult to determine and can affect the accuracy of the final estimate. It also relies heavily on the accuracy of the derivative calculation, which can be challenging for highly non-linear functions. Additionally, it may not always converge to a solution or may converge to a local minimum instead of the global minimum.