Parameters and the nature of electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the rearrangement of ratio formulas to find an equation involving frequency, speed, and wavelength. It is mentioned that for this specific problem, only rows A, B, E, and F are relevant. The question of whether the speed of light in vacuum depends on wavelength is also brought up, with the answer being no. However, it is noted that in a material medium, the speed of light does vary with frequency. The formula v=c=f•lambda is mentioned, with clarification that it still applies even with a fixed value for c. The conversation ends with the confirmation that this formula should be used.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Two electromagnetic waves P and Q travel in a vacuum and the ratio of their wavelengths is 1x10^8
Which row in the table shows the ratio of their speeds, the ratio of their frequencies, and
identifies the possible natures of P and Q?
I'll attach the table below
Relevant Equations
v=f lambda
Schermata 2020-09-27 alle 23.31.17.png
By rearranging over and over ratio formulas involving frequency, speed and wavelength, I came up with the equation:
fP/fQ=10^-8xVP/VQ
This led me to take into account only rows A, B, E, and F... but I can't really understand which one of these is the right one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the speed of light in vacuum depend on the wavelength?

TSny said:
Does the speed of light in vacuum depend on the wavelength?
Well, no, but isn’t “c” fixed even if not in a vacuum?

For this problem the light is traveling in a vacuum. So the speed is c for all frequencies.

When light travels in a material medium, the speed generally varies with frequency.

TSny said:
For this problem the light is traveling in a vacuum. So the speed is c for all frequencies.

When light travels in a material medium, the speed generally varies with frequency.
Oh, I didn’t know all electromagnetic waves were traveling at c in a vacuum!
And now, how could I find both frequencies in order to establish their natures?
If v=c=f•lambda, but c is fixed... is this formula still “working”? Should I use that?

greg_rack said:
If v=c=f•lambda, but c is fixed... is this formula still “working”? Should I use that?
Yes, definitely. :oldsmile:

1. What are the parameters that describe electromagnetic waves?

The parameters that describe electromagnetic waves are frequency, wavelength, amplitude, velocity, and polarization.

2. How are frequency and wavelength related in electromagnetic waves?

Frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional in electromagnetic waves. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the nature of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are transverse waves, meaning that the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

4. How do electromagnetic waves travel through space?

Electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through space. They can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light.

5. What is the role of polarization in electromagnetic waves?

Polarization refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave. It can be linear, circular, or elliptical and plays a crucial role in the properties and applications of electromagnetic waves.