Parameters of helix approximated by parts of torus

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating a helix using parts of a torus for an optical fiber simulation. The parameters for the helix are determined by the radius and length of the torus parts, as well as the angle of rotation. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate these parameters and is seeking an easier solution. Additionally, there is discussion about the meaning of "helix parameters" and how to calculate the radius of the pseudo helix.
lewhoo
Hello,

I am approximating a helix by parts of torus, to build an optical fiber wrapped around a cylinder simulation. Due to the software limitations, there is no easier way.

So I take a part of the torus, rotate it so the one end points slightly up, connect similar part of the torus to the rotated end and so on. The helix pitch, radius and its angle in respect to the z-axis are determined by the radius of the original torus, the length of the part of the torus (how much of the torus I cut out to make the part from which I make the helix) and the angle of rotation of the one of the torus part end. The problem is, I don't know how to calculate the helix parameters from these torus parts parameters.

I can calculate the coordinates of the end of each torus part in the general coordinates system. From this I could calculate coordinates in the system connected to helix (rotated so the z' axis goes along the helix axis) and compare with the helix analytical equations, to get the helix parameters and the coordinate system rotation parameters. Maple is trying to calculate it now, but I don't know if it will succeed - seems complicated.

Maybe one of you can see an easier solution to my problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As I visualze it, the approximation you are making isn't a real helix, so the meaning of "what are the helix parameters?" isn't precisely defined.

If we are interesting in describing how far along the axis of the helix you go to complete one rotation then my (hasty) answer would be 4 R sin(theta) where R is the "major radius" of the torus (in the terminology of the current Wikiipedia article on "Torus"). and theta is the angle at which the plane of the torus is tilted to a plane normal to the axis of the pseudo-helix.

The "radius" of the pseudo helix is a more complicated question since the tilted half torus doesn't have a constant distance from the center of the tubel to the axis of the pseudo helix. As I visualize it, the ends of the tilted half torus are closer to the axis than it's middle is. If you need a single number to represent the radius of a helix, you have to consider how this number will be used in the calculations you care about.

1. What is a helix approximated by parts of torus?

A helix is a curve that follows a circular path around a central point, while a torus is a three-dimensional shape similar to a donut. When parts of a torus are used to approximate a helix, it means that the helix is not a perfect curve, but is instead made up of smaller pieces that resemble sections of a torus.

2. How is a helix approximated by parts of torus useful in science?

This approximation can be useful in modeling and simulating complex biological structures, such as the shape of DNA or the structure of proteins. It can also be used in engineering and design, as it allows for more efficient and accurate representations of curved objects.

3. What are the parameters involved in approximating a helix by parts of torus?

The main parameters involved are the radius and thickness of the torus, as well as the pitch (or height) and number of turns of the helix. These parameters can be adjusted to create different approximations and can also affect the overall shape and curvature of the helix.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using this approximation?

One limitation is that the helix will not be a perfect curve, as it is made up of smaller sections. This may not be an accurate representation in some cases. Additionally, the parameters used to create the approximation may not accurately reflect the true proportions of the helix in certain situations.

5. How do scientists determine the parameters for approximating a helix by parts of torus?

The parameters can be determined through mathematical calculations and simulations, as well as by analyzing real-world data and observations. Scientists may also use computer programs and models to experiment with different parameter values and find the best approximation for their specific needs.