Moving relative to a rotating helix

In summary, the conversation discussed a situation related to Galilean relativity involving a block and a helix moving at different velocities and rotating. It also explored a different situation with a threaded bolt and nut moving and rotating at different velocities. The question posed was if the nut could still rotate anti-clockwise when moving away from the observer with a certain velocity. The conclusion was that the rotation of the nut depends on its velocity relative to the bolt and not the observer's velocity.
Saptarshi Sarkar
I was thinking about a situation related to Galilean relativity but couldn't come up with a solution to the problem. I would be very grateful if someone can explain it to me.

So, I was thinking of a situation where I am in the reference frame of a block moving at velocity u along the x-axis and a helix moving towards me (towards x axis) with velocity v and also rotating.

IMG_20200117_175100~2.jpg

Now, if u<v, from my reference frame, it would seem as the helix is moving towards me with velocity v-u (u,v<<c) and also the helix would seem to be rotating anti-clockwise. If u>v, from my reference frame it would seem that that helix is moving away from me with velocity u-v and the helix would still seem to rotate anti-clockwise.

Now, I consider a different situation of an infinite threaded bolt and a nut (powered by some system attached to the nut to continuously spin it) spinning on it which can only move forward or backward by spinning anti-clockwise (respect to my frame) or clockwise respectively.

IMG_20200117_175100.jpg

Here, if u<v, I see the nut moving towards me with velocity v-u (I am not viewing the nut head on, but I am very far away from the nut) and spinning anti-clockwise. If u>v, I see the nut moving away from me with velocity u-v but still moving anti-clockwise (?). But how can this be true? The nut won't be able to move back if it spins anti-clockwise?! What would I really observe?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rotation of the nut depends on its velocity V w/r to the bolt only. The velocity U of the observer or the sum of the two have nothing to do with it.

Likes 256bits, Nugatory and Saptarshi Sarkar

1. What is a rotating helix?

A rotating helix is a three-dimensional curve that is formed by a point moving at a constant speed along a circular path while also moving along a straight line in a perpendicular direction. It can also be described as a spiral shape.

2. How does one move relative to a rotating helix?

To move relative to a rotating helix, one must either move along the circular path or along the straight line in a perpendicular direction. This can be achieved by changing the speed and direction of movement in either of these directions.

3. What are the applications of studying moving relative to a rotating helix?

Studying moving relative to a rotating helix has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can help in understanding the motion of objects in circular or spiral paths, as well as in designing and analyzing machines and structures that involve rotating helix movements.

4. How does the speed of movement affect the motion relative to a rotating helix?

The speed of movement directly affects the motion relative to a rotating helix. A higher speed will result in a faster movement along the helix, while a lower speed will result in a slower movement. The direction of movement can also be affected by the speed, as a change in speed can cause a change in direction along the helix.

5. Are there any real-life examples of moving relative to a rotating helix?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of moving relative to a rotating helix. Some common examples include the motion of a rollercoaster along its tracks, the movement of a drill bit as it drills into a surface, and the motion of a tornado as it spirals upwards. These examples all involve a combination of circular and linear motion, resulting in a rotating helix movement.