Parametric distance of a line in a grid (Line Integral Convolution)

In summary, to properly implement the line integral convolution, it is important to remember that the s values refer to distances along the vector field and should always be positive. It is also important to use max instead of min to ensure positive distances, and to calculate the distances starting from the current pixel rather than the floor or ceiling. By following these guidelines, you should be able to successfully implement the line integral convolution.
Avatrin
0favv.png

Hi, the above image is from the Line Integral Convolution paper by Cabral and Leedom. However, I am having a hard time implementing it, and I am quite certain I am misreading it. It is supposed to give me the distances of the lines like in the example below, but I am not sure how it can. First of all, it looks like sbottom=stopsbottom=stop and sright=sleftsright=sleft. Also, it looks like the answer will always be zero since ⌊Pi⌋−Pi⌊Pi⌋−Pi will always be negative for an image. Any advice on how I can make progress?
56NJY.png

My current implementation is:

def ds(x,y): Vxy = V(x,y) s_top=max((floor(y)-y)/Vxy[1],0) s_bottom=max((floor(y)-y)/Vxy[1],0) s_right= max((floor(x)-x)/Vxy[0],0) s_left =max((floor(x)-x)/Vxy[0],0) return(min([s_top,s_bottom,s_right,s_left]))

And, it always returns 0 (yes, I know I have ignored the instance in which V is parallel to e, but first I have to fix the issues I wrote about above).

Technology news on Phys.org
To solve the issues you mentioned, it is important to note that the s values refer to the distances along the vector field V, not the distances between pixels. Your implementation likely isn't working because you are computing the distances between pixels, not along the vector field. Also, it is important to remember that the s values should always be positive, not negative, so your implementation should use max instead of min. This ensures that all distances are positive, and therefore will always be greater than zero.Finally, it is important to note that the s values refer to the distances starting from the current pixel, so the equation should be (ceil(y)-y)/Vxy[1] rather than (floor(y)-y)/Vxy[1].Therefore, a properly implemented version of the line integral convolution should look something like this:def ds(x,y): Vxy = V(x,y) s_top=max((ceil(y)-y)/Vxy[1],0) s_bottom=max((floor(y)-y)/Vxy[1],0) s_right= max((ceil(x)-x)/Vxy[0],0) s_left =max((floor(x)-x)/Vxy[0],0) return(min([s_top,s_bottom,s_right,s_left]))

1. What is the concept of parametric distance in a line integral convolution?

Parametric distance in a line integral convolution refers to the distance between two points along a line segment in a grid. In this concept, the line is defined by a set of parametric equations, and the distance is calculated by integrating a scalar field along the line segment.

2. How is the parametric distance of a line calculated in a grid?

The parametric distance of a line in a grid is calculated by integrating a scalar field along the line segment using a numerical method such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. The scalar field represents the values of the grid cells that the line passes through.

3. What is the significance of calculating the parametric distance of a line in a grid?

Calculating the parametric distance of a line in a grid is important in visualizing vector fields or fluid flow patterns. This technique allows for the generation of smooth and realistic flow lines in a grid, providing insights into the behavior and dynamics of the underlying system.

4. Are there any limitations to using parametric distance in line integral convolution?

One limitation of using parametric distance in line integral convolution is that it can be computationally expensive, especially for complex grids with a large number of points. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the resolution of the grid and the chosen numerical integration method.

5. How is the accuracy of the parametric distance of a line validated?

The accuracy of the parametric distance of a line can be validated by comparing the results with known solutions or analytical solutions. Additionally, the sensitivity of the results to changes in the grid resolution and numerical integration method can also be used to assess the accuracy of the parametric distance calculation.