Parametric Equations - Finding Tangent Lines

In summary, To find the vertical and horizontal tangent lines for r = sin Θ, 0 < Θ < pi, the first step is to convert the equation to parametric form using the conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates. This can be done by replacing r with its definition in terms of Θ and simplifying the equations.
r34racer01
So I'm looking at this example in my textbook where they're trying to find the vert. & horizontal tangent lines of r = sin Θ, 0 < Θ < pi. they say to first change it to parametric equations where

x = r cos Θ = sin Θ cos Θ
and
y = r sin Θ = sin Θ sin Θ = sin^2 Θ

But now I'm just really confused, how did they get these parametric equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a simple conversion from polar to cartesian coordinates.

The definition of the conversion (I'm sure this is in your textbook) is:

x = r * cos Θ
y = r * sin Θ

However, you're given r as a function of Θ - i.e., r(Θ).

So the conversion becomes:

x = r(Θ) * cos Θ
y = r(Θ) * sin Θ

Simply replace r(Θ) with its definition (i.e., r(Θ) = sin Θ)

x = sin Θ * sin Θ
y = sin Θ * cos Θ

Related to Parametric Equations - Finding Tangent Lines

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way to represent a set of coordinates in terms of one or more independent variables. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe curves and motion in space.

2. How do you find the tangent line to a parametric curve?

To find the tangent line to a parametric curve, you can use the parametric derivative formula: dy/dx = (dy/dt) / (dx/dt). This will give you the slope of the tangent line at any given point. To find the equation of the tangent line, you can use the point-slope form: y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope and (x1, y1) is the point on the curve.

3. What is the relationship between parametric equations and calculus?

Parametric equations are closely related to calculus because they can be used to describe the motion of a particle or object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. Calculus can be used to find the derivatives and integrals of parametric equations, which are important for finding tangent lines, areas under curves, and other mathematical concepts.

4. Can parametric equations be converted to Cartesian equations?

Yes, parametric equations can be converted to Cartesian equations, which are equations that use x and y variables instead of t. To do this, you can solve for t in one of the equations and substitute it into the other equation. This will give you an equation in terms of x and y, which is the Cartesian form of the parametric equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of parametric equations?

Parametric equations have many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, such as projectiles, planets, or pendulums. They are also used in computer graphics to create curves and animations. Additionally, parametric equations are used in statistics to model relationships between variables and in economics to model demand and supply curves.