Parity operator and change of variable question

In summary, the conversation discusses the parity operator and its effects on an arbitrary vector |\psi\rangle in \mathcal{E}_\vec{r}. The variable change \vec{r'}=-\vec{r} is performed, resulting in a change in the integral limits from d^3 r = dx dy dz to d^3 r' = -dx dy dz. The minus sign and swapped limits are explained as being related to the meaning of the differential volume.
andresordonez
Hi, while reading the section about the parity operator from the QM book by Cohen-Tannoudji (complement F II, page 192), I found this:

"
Consider an arbitrary vector [tex] |\psi\rangle [/tex] of [tex] \mathcal{E}_\vec{r} [/tex]:

[tex] |\psi\rangle = \int d^3 r \psi(\vec{r})|\vec{r} \rangle [/tex]

If the variable change [tex] \vec{r'}=-\vec{r} [/tex] is performed, [tex] |\psi \rangle [/tex] can be written:

[tex] |\psi \rangle = \int d^3 r' \psi (-\vec{r'}) |-\vec{r'} \rangle [/tex]
"

But [tex] d^3 r = dx dy dz [/tex] and after the variable change I get [tex] d^3 r' = dx' dy' dz' = - dx dy dz [/tex], so I don't understand what happened to that minus sign. It should be:

[tex] |\psi \rangle = -\int d^3 r' \psi (-\vec{r'}) |-\vec{r'} \rangle [/tex]

right??

Someone told me it had to do something with the meaning of the differential volume, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limits on the integral also got swapped. When you change them back around, there's another three factors of -1.

Right. Thanks schieghoven!

Related to Parity operator and change of variable question

1. What is a parity operator?

A parity operator is a mathematical operator that determines whether a given function or system exhibits even or odd symmetry. It is represented by the symbol P and can be applied to both continuous and discrete systems.

2. How does a parity operator work?

A parity operator works by flipping the sign of the function or system about a chosen point or axis. If the function or system remains unchanged after this operation, it is considered to have even symmetry. If the function or system changes sign after the operation, it is considered to have odd symmetry.

3. What is the significance of a parity operator?

The significance of a parity operator lies in its ability to classify functions or systems as either even or odd, which can provide valuable information about their behavior and properties. It is also a useful tool in solving differential equations and studying quantum mechanics.

4. How is a change of variable related to a parity operator?

A change of variable involves substituting a new variable for an existing one in a given function or system. This can affect the symmetry of the function or system, and a parity operator can be used to determine whether the new variable preserves the original symmetry or not.

5. Can a parity operator be used in all types of mathematical systems?

Yes, a parity operator can be applied to a wide range of mathematical systems, including functions, equations, matrices, and operators. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.