Parity Operator in 2D: Understanding Transformation & Spin

In summary, the 2D representation of the parity operator involves a diagonal matrix with the entries 1 and -1. However, since spin shouldn't change under parity, the correct representation is the diagonal matrix with entries 1 and 1. This may seem counterintuitive, but it can be understood by considering the different ways in which parity can be applied in a 2-dimensional space. The pin group, generated by the vector and bivector elements of the Clifford algebra, can also be used to represent parity in a more complex manner. Ultimately, the choice of representation and conventions may vary.
Malamala
Hello! What is the 2D (acting in spin space) representation of the parity operator. In principle we can make it a diagonal matrix with the right transformation and given that ##P^2=1## the matrix would be diag(1,1) or diag(1,-1). However spin shouldn't change under parity and using that it seems like the diag(1,1) is the right representation. But that doesn't make much sense to me, as in this case it looks like all objects in 2D have the same parity. Can someone help me with this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my understanding of the mathematical aspects of it. I don't know what conventions are in common use.

Let's see... rotations in 2-dim is represented by the group SO(2) the corresponding spin group is U(1). Its vector representation is 1-(complex)-dimensional, with generator ##\boldsymbol{i}##. Now, parity is not a part of the spin group, it is not a "special" orthogonal transformation but rather general orthogonal group transformations, #O(2) it's "spinor" correspondent is the pin group, the group generated by the vector and bivector elements of the respective Clifford algebra. This is (in one formulation) the Quaternions. Let ##\boldsymbol{j}, \boldsymbol{k}## express, respectively, inversion in the x and y directions of the plane and then ##\boldsymbol{i} = \boldsymbol{jk}## generates rotation in the x-y plane. (Note I'm mixing around the associations so the bivector element is ##\boldsymbol{i}## the generator of the U(1) spin group. This will also match up with the alternative formulation below.)

Now we get to business. Parity transforms LH coordinates to RH coordinates (or when actively applied changes the LH vs RH orientation of an object.) In our odd 3 dimensional world, this can be achieved by inverting all three (and odd number of) spatial directions. Thus parity is usually expressed by inversion in the x, y, and z directions simultaneously. It is more ambiguous in 2 dimensions. We can effect parity change either by inverting the x-direction or the y-direction. Since the dimension is even inverting both effects a 180-degree rotation with no reversal of orientation.

However in either case (or some rotated version thereof) the adjoint action on the rotation generator is to change its sign: ## \boldsymbol{jij^{-1} = -\boldsymbol{i}## and similar. So when we revert back to the spin group, parity will manifest as complex conjugation in the 1-dim complex representation of U(1).

There is an alternative formulation of the Pin group analogous to the Marajona spinor representation of 3+1 relativistic spin. We can allow that the generator of inversions square to +1 hence:
##\gamma_x = \sigma_3, \gamma_y = \sigma_1, \text{ and } \boldsymbol{i} = \gamma_x\gamma_y = i\sigma_2##. Thence:
[tex] \boldsymbol{i} = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1\\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
(if I got the signs correct.)

Now it looks like just another version of the SO(2) rotation matrix but it is not. A planar rotation of a vector through angle ##\theta## will correspond to a half-angle rotation ##e^{i\theta/2}##.

Now we will again have two parity inverting operations. One effected by ##\gamma_x = \sigma_3## which in this real 2-dim spinor representation will invert the 2nd component e.g. corresponding to complex conjugation and the other effected by ##\gamma_y = \sigma_1## will swap the two components and will thus correspond to complex conjugation followed by multiplication by ##\boldsymbol{i}##.

You can equate these with two with the operators P and -P and which you choose to associate with which would be a matter of convention.

1. What is a parity operator in 2D?

A parity operator in 2D is a mathematical tool used to describe the symmetry properties of a system. It represents a transformation that flips the coordinates of a point in a two-dimensional space along a certain axis.

2. How does the parity operator affect spin in 2D systems?

In 2D systems, the parity operator can affect the spin of particles by flipping their spin direction. This is because spin is a property of particles that can be thought of as a rotation in a higher-dimensional space, and the parity operator represents a rotation in a two-dimensional space.

3. What is the difference between a parity operator and a spin operator?

A parity operator and a spin operator are two different mathematical tools used to describe different properties of a system. The parity operator represents a transformation, while the spin operator represents a physical property of particles. However, they are related in that the parity operator can affect the spin of particles.

4. How is the parity operator used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the parity operator is used to describe the symmetry properties of a system and how they are affected by transformations. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions in 2D systems.

5. Can the parity operator be applied to systems with more than 2 dimensions?

Yes, the parity operator can be applied to systems with any number of dimensions. However, it is most commonly used in 2D systems as it represents a rotation in a two-dimensional space.