Parity Selection Rules: I'm Confused

In summary: I have taken ##dq’ = -dq##, but in changing variables must also reverse the limits of the integral\begin{align*}f_{ug} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_u^*(q) \hat{f}(q) \psi_g(q) dq &=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty} [-\psi_u^*(q')] \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' \\&= \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \psi_u^*(q') \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' \\&= -f_{ug}\end{
ergospherical
I'm confused by the discussion in section §30 (Parity of a state), page 98 of Landau's QM. The functions ##\psi_u## and ##\psi_g## are odd an even states respectively. If ##f## is a true scalar, then it should remain unchanged by inversion of the co-ordinates. Writing ##q' = -q##, then its matrix element at position ##(u,g)## is\begin{align*}
f_{ug} = \int \psi_u^*(q) \hat{f}(q) \psi_g(q) dq =-\int [-\psi_u^*(q')] \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' = \int \psi_u^*(q') \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq'
\end{align*}however it is written in the text that ##f_{ug} = -f_{ug}##. What did I mis-understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##q##? What are the limits of all those integrals?

Likes ergospherical
Gaussian97 said:
What is ##q##? What are the limits of all those integrals?
Oh yes, thanks, there should be an extra minus sign due to inverting the limits of the third integral.

ergospherical said:
I'm confused by the discussion in section §30 (Parity of a state), page 98 of Landau's QM. The functions ##\psi_u## and ##\psi_g## are odd an even states respectively. If ##f## is a true scalar, then it should remain unchanged by inversion of the co-ordinates. Writing ##q' = -q##, then its matrix element at position ##(u,g)## is\begin{align*}
f_{ug} = \int \psi_u^*(q) \hat{f}(q) \psi_g(q) dq =-\int [-\psi_u^*(q')] \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' = \int \psi_u^*(q') \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq'
\end{align*}however it is written in the text that ##f_{ug} = -f_{ug}##. What did I mis-understand?
Where does the additional ##-## sign after the 2nd equality sign come from? This should be absent since ##f(q)=f(-q)## by assumption, if I understand right what you mean by "true scalar", i.e., a scalar under rotations AND parity.

ergospherical said:
Oh yes, thanks, there should be an extra minus sign due to inverting the limits of the third integral.
No, why? You have
$$\mathrm{d}^3 q' =\left | \mathrm{det} \frac{\partial(q')}{\partial q} \right| \mathrm{d}^3 q = |-1| \mathrm{d}^3 q=\mathrm{d}^3 q.$$

I have taken ##dq’ = -dq##, but in changing variables must also reverse the limits of the integral
\begin{align*}
f_{ug} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi_u^*(q) \hat{f}(q) \psi_g(q) dq &=-\int_{\infty}^{-\infty} [-\psi_u^*(q')] \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' \\
&= \int_{\infty}^{-\infty} \psi_u^*(q') \hat{f}(q') \psi_g(q') dq' \\
&= -f_{ug}
\end{align*}

Likes vanhees71

1. What are parity selection rules?

Parity selection rules are a set of principles that govern the allowed transitions between different energy states in a quantum system. They determine which transitions are allowed and which are forbidden based on the parity (odd or even) of the initial and final states.

2. How do parity selection rules work?

Parity selection rules are based on the concept of parity conservation, which states that the total parity of a system must remain the same before and after a transition. If the initial and final states have the same parity, the transition is allowed. If they have opposite parities, the transition is forbidden.

3. Why are parity selection rules important?

Parity selection rules are important because they provide a way to predict and understand the behavior of quantum systems. They also help to explain why certain transitions occur and others do not, which is crucial for many applications in physics and chemistry.

4. Are there any exceptions to parity selection rules?

Yes, there are some exceptions to parity selection rules. In certain cases, transitions that violate the rules may still occur due to other factors, such as the presence of external fields or interactions with other particles. However, these exceptions are relatively rare and do not significantly impact the overall validity of the rules.

5. How can I apply parity selection rules in my research?

If you are working in a field that involves quantum systems, understanding parity selection rules can be useful for predicting and interpreting experimental results. You can also use them to design experiments that specifically target certain transitions and manipulate the behavior of your system. It is important to consult with experts in the field and carefully consider all factors before applying the rules in your research.