Part of bike wheel is cut out, find period of oscillations

• Thread starter alalalash_kachok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
alalalash_kachok
Homework Statement
Part of bike wheel with angle ##\alpha## is cut out. All the mass of wheel is concetrated in wheel rim.
Relevant Equations
Find period of wheel's oscillations, if attach wheel's center to rod.
Assume the part of wheel with angle ##\phi## not is cut out, but is located next to cut out part. Turn this from right to left. Then wheel's center of mass will be higher by $$R\phi \sin(\alpha/2)$$. It allows to express potential energy. But I don't know how I can express kinetic energy in this case. Help me. please

Physics news on Phys.org
alalalash_kachok said:
Homework Statement: Part of bike wheel with angle ##\alpha## is cut out. All the mass of wheel is concetrated in wheel rim.
Relevant Equations: Find period of wheel's oscillations, if attach wheel's center to rod.

Assume the part of wheel with angle ##\phi## not is cut out, but is located next to cut out part. Turn this from right to left. Then wheel's center of mass will be higher by $$R\phi \sin(\alpha/2)$$.
Let us see your calculation for this center of mass increase. It looks wrong to me.

Also, if we are cutting out a hole at a positive (first or second quadrant) angle ##\phi_0##, does that mean that the new center of mass is going to be higher or lower than the original center?

Possibly I am misunderstanding your interpretation of the problem statement. We have cut out a piece of the wheel but then pasted it back in next to where we cut it out? And then flipped the wheel in a mirror image fashion from right to left? That seems unnecessarily baroque.

alalalash_kachok said:
It allows to express potential energy. But I don't know how I can express kinetic energy in this case. Help me. please
Once we have potential energy as a function of ##\phi##, we can look at kinetic energy in terms of rotation rate ##\omega##.

You should be able to write that formula now.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean when a part of a bike wheel is cut out?

When a part of a bike wheel is cut out, it means that a section of the wheel has been removed, leaving a gap or hole in the wheel. This can affect the overall balance and stability of the wheel, as well as its period of oscillations.

2. What is the period of oscillations?

The period of oscillations refers to the time it takes for a system to complete one full cycle of its motion. In the case of a bike wheel, it is the time it takes for the wheel to rotate once and return to its original position.

3. How does cutting out a part of a bike wheel affect its period of oscillations?

Cutting out a part of a bike wheel can significantly affect its period of oscillations. This is because the removed section changes the distribution of mass and the overall balance of the wheel, resulting in a different period of oscillations compared to a complete wheel.

4. Can the period of oscillations be calculated for a bike wheel with a cut-out section?

Yes, the period of oscillations for a bike wheel with a cut-out section can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the center of mass to the axis of rotation.

5. How can the period of oscillations be measured for a bike wheel with a cut-out section?

The period of oscillations for a bike wheel with a cut-out section can be measured by recording the time it takes for the wheel to complete several full cycles of its motion and then calculating the average period. This can be done using a stopwatch or a motion sensor. Alternatively, the period can also be measured by analyzing the frequency of the wheel's oscillations using a frequency meter.