Partial derivatives of a strong solution are also solutions?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, using the given theorem, we can show that if u(x,t) is a strong solution to the heat equation, then both u_{t} and u_{x} are also solutions.
cjc

Homework Statement

For the heat equation [itex]u_{t}=\alpha^{2}u_{xx}[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]t>0[/itex], show that if [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] is a strong solution to the heat equation, then [itex]u_{t}[/itex] and [itex]u_{x}[/itex] are also solutions.

Homework Equations

[itex]u_{t}=\alpha^{2}u_{xx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've considered the following theorem which shows that the integral defining [itex]u[/itex] and the integrals of partial derivatives are all uniformly convergent. It goes as follows:

Let [itex]g(r,s)[/itex] be defined and continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}\times I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is an interval, and suppose [itex]\partial g/ \partial s[/itex] exists and is continuous. If the improper integral for [itex]G(s)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} g(r,s) dr[/itex] and the improper integral [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\frac{\partial g}{\partial s}(r,s)dr[/itex] are uniformly convergent on [itex]I[/itex], then [itex]G[/itex] is differentiable and [itex]G'(s)=\int_{\mathbb{R}}\frac{\partial g}{\partial s}(r,s)dr[/itex].

My question would be how do I begin to apply this to the given problem?

Thank you so much! =]

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. To begin, we can rewrite the heat equation as follows:

u_{t}=\alpha^{2}u_{xx} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=\alpha^{2}\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}

Now, using the theorem you mentioned, we can write:

\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \alpha^{2}\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} dr

Since u is a strong solution to the heat equation, we know that the integral defining u is uniformly convergent. This also means that the integral defining \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} is uniformly convergent. Therefore, we can apply the theorem and conclude that \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} is differentiable and \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} is its derivative.

Similarly, we can write:

\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\alpha^{2}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) dr

Again, since u is a strong solution, the integral defining \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} is uniformly convergent. Therefore, we can apply the theorem and conclude that \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} is differentiable and \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\alpha^{2}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) is its derivative, which is equal to \alpha^{2}u_{xx}.

Therefore, we have shown that both u_{t} and u_{x} are solutions to the heat equation. I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Partial derivatives of a strong solution are also solutions?

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative that is used to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. What is a strong solution?

A strong solution is a type of solution to a differential equation that satisfies both the differential equation and the given boundary conditions.

3. How are partial derivatives of strong solutions related to solutions?

Partial derivatives of strong solutions are also solutions because they satisfy the same differential equation and boundary conditions as the original strong solution.

4. Why is it important that partial derivatives of strong solutions are also solutions?

This is important because it allows us to use the same techniques and methods to solve differential equations involving partial derivatives, instead of having to develop separate techniques for each type of solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of partial derivatives of strong solutions?

Partial derivatives of strong solutions are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. They can be used to model and analyze various physical processes, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrical circuits.