Partial derivatives (related rates)

In summary: So the derivative of x with respect to t is negative and the derivative of y with respect to t is positive.
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Car A is going north, car B is going west, each are approaching an intersection on their respective highways. At an instant, car A is .3km from its intersection while car B is .4 km from it's intersection. Car A travels at 90km/h while car B travels 80km/h. Find the rate at which the distance between them is changing at that moment.

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem x^2+y^2=z^2
chain rule of partial derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) so by the chain rule (differentiatiing with respect to x*90+differentiating with respect to y*80) I get
90y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)+80x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) and setting y=.3km and x=.4lkm I get 118km/h
but the book used negative values and got -118km/h. It used -80 and -90km/h for its dz/dx's and dz/dy's. Why did it do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
evilpostingmong said:

Homework Statement

Car A is going north, car B is going west, each are approaching an intersection on their respective highways. At an instant, car A is .3km from its intersection while car B is .4 km from it's intersection. Car A travels at 90km/h while car B travels 80km/h. Find the rate at which the distance between them is changing at that moment.

Homework Equations

Pythagorean theorem x^2+y^2=z^2
chain rule of partial derivatives.
Why partial derivatives? The only independent variable here is t.

The Attempt at a Solution

z=sqrt(x^2+y^2) so by the chain rule (differentiatiing with respect to x*90+differentiating with respect to y*80) I get
90y/sqrt(x^2+y^2)+80x/sqrt(x^2+y^2)
It would be much simpler to use z2= x2+ y2 so that
[tex]2z\frac{dz}{dt}= 2x\frac{dx}{dt}+ 2y\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
I have no idea what you mean by "differentiatiing with respect to x*90+differentiating with respect to y*80". What do "x*90" and "y*80" represent physically in this problem? If x and y are distance as they appear to be then "x*90" and "x*80" would have units of km2 per hour and I don't reconize that as any physical quantity.

and setting y=.3km and x=.4lkm I get 118km/h
but the book used negative values and got -118km/h. It used -80 and -90km/h for its dz/dx's and dz/dy's. Why did it do this?

You never did say what "x", "y", and "z" represent. I guess that x is the distance from the intersection to car B since you take x= 0.4 km at the given instant. If that is correct, then since car B is getting closer to the intersection as time progresses, x is a decreasing function of t and its derivative is negative: -80 km/hr. Similarly, dx/dt= -90 km/hr.

also, your text did NOT use "-80 and -90km/h for its dz/dx's and dz/dy's" because the 80 and 90 here are speeds in km/hr while dz/dx and dz/dy are "km/km" and so dimensionless. Your text is using -80 and -90 for dx/dt and dy/dt.

Oh sorry lol I meant to say dy/dt and dx/dt for the speeds. Yeah even though
partial derivatives are not needed, I used them anyway because I'm doing problems from
the chain rule for partial derivatives chapter. I came up with the same answer, the only problem was the signs. Yes x y and z represent the distance from the intersections, you're right.

Related to Partial derivatives (related rates)

1. What are partial derivatives and how are they related to related rates?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus, which measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. They are related to related rates because they are used to calculate how one variable changes in relation to another variable in a given system.

2. How do you find partial derivatives?

To find the partial derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable, you first treat all other variables as constants and take the derivative of the function with respect to that variable. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule or the chain rule.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a partial derivative is a specific type of total derivative.

4. What is the significance of partial derivatives in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more, to model and understand complex systems. They are particularly useful in related rates problems, where the rate of change of one variable is dependent on the rate of change of another variable.

5. How can partial derivatives be visualized?

Partial derivatives can be visualized using graphs and contour plots. For a function of two variables, the partial derivative with respect to one variable can be represented by a slice of the graph in the corresponding direction. Contour plots can also show the rate of change of a function in different directions by displaying curves of equal partial derivatives.