Partial Order Relation on a Functions Set

In summary, R is a partial order relation on A, a set of functions from [0,1] to [0,infinity) such that fRg if and only if f(x)<=g(x) for all x which belongs to [0,1]. There is a smallest element, which is f(x) = 0, but there is no largest element. There can be more than one maximal and minimal element, and not all elements of A are comparable. To compare two functions, f and g, f is less than g if and only if f(x)< g(x) for all x.
Yankel
Hello,

I have a question which includes several statements, which I need to decide if they are true or false. I am not sure how to do it, if you could give me hints or "leads", it will mostly appreciated.

R is a partial order relation on A, a set of functions from [0,1] to [0,infinity) such that fRg if and only if f(x)<=g(x) for all x which belongs to [0,1].

In this relation:

1) There is a largest and smallest element
2) There is no largest element but there is a smallest one
3) There is more than one maximal element
4) There is more than one minimal element
5) Every 2 elements of A are comparable

I thought maybe to try and build a Hasse diagram, but unlike simple example with pairs of numbers, here I found it more difficult.

How do I compare two functions and order them ?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello,

I have a question which includes several statements, which I need to decide if they are true or false. I am not sure how to do it, if you could give me hints or "leads", it will mostly appreciated.

R is a partial order relation on A, a set of functions from [0,1] to [0,infinity) such that fRg if and only if f(x)<=g(x) for all x which belongs to [0,1].

In this relation:

1) There is a largest and smallest element
2) There is no largest element but there is a smallest one
3) There is more than one maximal element
4) There is more than one minimal element
5) Every 2 elements of A are comparable

I thought maybe to try and build a Hasse diagram, but unlike simple example with pairs of numbers, here I found it more difficult.

How do I compare two functions and order them ?

Thank you.
You are told how to "compare two functions and order them" in the definition of the order relation: given two functions f and g, f< g if and only if f(x)< g(x) for all x. Of course, most functions will NOT be "comparable" because we will have f(x)< g(x) for some x and g(x)< f(x) for others.

I see. Which function is the smallest in this case ? Is it f(x)=0 ?

Yankel said:
Which function is the smallest in this case ? Is it f(x)=0 ?
Yes.

What is a partial order relation on a functions set?

A partial order relation on a functions set is a binary relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, antisymmetry, and transitivity. This relation is used to compare different functions in a set based on their inputs and outputs.

How is a partial order relation different from a total order relation?

A partial order relation is different from a total order relation in that it does not require all elements in a set to be comparable. In a partial order relation, some elements may not be comparable due to different inputs or outputs, while in a total order relation, all elements are comparable.

What are some examples of partial order relations on a functions set?

Some examples of partial order relations on a functions set include the subset relation, the pointwise order relation, and the composition order relation. These relations are commonly used in mathematics and computer science to compare different functions.

How is a partial order relation represented mathematically?

A partial order relation on a functions set is represented mathematically as a set of ordered pairs (x,y), where x and y are elements in the set and x is related to y by the partial order relation. This representation helps to visualize the relationship between different functions in the set.

What are the applications of partial order relations on a functions set?

Partial order relations on a functions set have various applications in mathematics and computer science. They are used in fields such as graph theory, optimization, and database design. These relations help to organize and compare different functions, making them useful in many areas of research and problem-solving.