Partial Permutation, Combination question for buying dogs at the pet store

Memo
TL;DR Summary: A pet store has 5 Chihuahua, 3 Fox and 4 Poodle. A person wants to buy 7 dogs. How many ways for the person to choose and buy with at least 3 Chihuahua and 2 Poodle.

There're C(5,3)*C(4,2) ways to buy dogs with at least 3 Chihuahua and 2 Poodle.
There're C(7,2) ways to buy dogs of any breeds.
In conclusion, there're C(5,3)*C(4,2)*C(7,2)=1260 ways for the person to pick and buy dogs.
Could someone check if my solution is correct? Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is wrong.

PeroK said:
Your solution is wrong.
Could you be more specific? thanks.

Memo said:
Could you be more specific? thanks.
You are double/multiple counting cases where more than three Chihuahua's and/or more than 2 Poodles are bought.

Note: it's not clear to me whether the question is at least 2 Poodles or exactly 2 Poodles.

PeroK said:
You are double/multiple counting cases where more than three Chihuahua's and/or more than 2 Poodles are bought.

Note: it's not clear to me whether the question is at least 2 Poodles or exactly 2 Poodles.
I still don't get what you mean, could you point out whether it's the first or second part, or the whole part.
I think the question implies at least 2 Poodles

Memo said:
I still don't get what you mean, could you point out whether it's the first or second part, or the whole part.
I think the question implies at least 2 Poodles
How many ways are there to choose 7 dogs from 12 total?

• Wow
Likes Memo
PeroK said:
How many ways are there to choose 7 dogs from 12 total?
Ok, I see that my answer exceed the total possible ways. If 5 dogs are certain then they're 7 dogs left, and the person picks 2 out of 7 regardless of their breeds. How do I fix it?

Memo said:
Ok, I see that my answer exceed the total possible ways. If 5 dogs are certain then they're 7 dogs left, and the person picks 2 out of 7 regardless of their breeds. How do I fix it?
If we have at least 3 C's and at least 2 P's, then there are a number of different combinations that must be calculated separately. I don't see a quick way. I put the calculations on an Excel spreadsheet.

In any case, the possibilities are:
CPF

You can then, if you want, calculate all the other possibilities where there either ##C < 3## or ##P < 2## and check that the sum of all the possibilities is ##\binom{12} 7##.

• Care
Likes Memo
PS that's why I thought the question might mean exactly two P's. Because that's simpler, as there are only three cases.

I think you can group three Chihuahua's ##C_3##, and group 2 Poodles ##P_2##, leaving 2 dogs to select in any way.

erobz said:
I think you can group three Chihuahua's ##C_3##, and group 2 Poodles ##P_2##, leaving 2 dogs to select in any way.
Not easily without multiple counting. That was the OP's initial error.

PeroK said:
Not easily without multiple counting. That was the OP's initial error.
Yeah...never mind, not exactly straight forward.

PeroK said:
If we have at least 3 C's and at least 2 P's, then there are a number of different combinations that must be calculated separately. I don't see a quick way. I put the calculations on an Excel spreadsheet.

In any case, the possibilities are:
CPF

You can then, if you want, calculate all the other possibilities where there either ##C < 3## or ##P < 2## and check that the sum of all the possibilities is ##\binom{12} 7##.
So would the answer be 6^3=216 ways? Like 5C 2P and 2P 5C would be considered the same but still in 2 options

Memo said:
So would the answer be 6^3=216 ways? Like 5C 2P and 2P 5C would be considered the same but still in 2 options
You have to sum combinations for each specific case ( each row in the table ), I don't get 216 when I do that.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Memo said:
Not at all. There are six possibilities that are all different. You have to calculate them all.

Do you know how to use a spreadsheet?

• Sad
Likes Memo
PeroK said:
Not at all. There are six possibilities that are all different. You have to calculate them all.

Do you know how to use a spreadsheet?
No, I can't use a spreadsheet while in exams. Is there really not a quick way since there were much harder questions waiting and if I solve it in the conventional ways then I just lose points

May I suggest solving it as suggested (you don’t actually need a spreadsheet), then you can spend as much time as you like looking for a efficient method once you have the result.

Memo said:
No, I can't use a spreadsheet while in exams
You won't have me in an exam.

Memo said:
. Is there really not a quick way since there were much harder questions waiting
I can imagine. The sooner you realise not all problems can be solved by a single calculation the better.

Likes erobz
I can see an example of multiple counting here( though can't think of how to deal with it).
So we have 12 dogs, 3 of type A: A1, A2, A3; similarly 4 of type B , 5 of type C. We want to select 7 dogs from the 12, so that we have 3 of type A, 2 of type B.
Consider this:

1)Choose A1,A2,A3 ;B1,B2; A4,A5

2) Choose A1,A4,A5; B1,B2; A2,A3

Both represent the choice , as a set:
{A1,A2,A3 A4,A5, B1,B2}

That's just one such duplicate.

Are the Chihuahuas, Poodles, and Foxes distinct? That would make a difference. Then you have 5 slots spoken for - you only have 2 slots to fill with the remaining animals. If you have to distinguish which Poodles that you are using, it is more complex.

1. How many ways can I choose a subset of 3 dogs from a total of 5 dogs at the pet store?

Using the combination formula, we can calculate this as C(5,3) = 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 10 ways.

2. If I want to buy 2 dogs out of 4 specific breeds available, how many different combinations can I choose?

Again, using the combination formula, we can calculate this as C(4,2) = 4! / (2!(4-2)!) = 6 ways.

3. What is the total number of ways to buy any number of dogs from a selection of 7 dogs at the pet store?

The total number of ways to choose any number of dogs from a selection of 7 is equal to 2^7 = 128 ways, as each dog can either be chosen or not chosen, giving us 2 options for each dog.

4. How many ways can I buy at least 2 dogs from a selection of 6 dogs at the pet store?

To calculate the number of ways to buy at least 2 dogs, we need to sum the combinations of choosing 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 dogs. This would be C(6,2) + C(6,3) + C(6,4) + C(6,5) + C(6,6) = 15 + 20 + 15 + 6 + 1 = 57 ways.

5. If I can only afford to buy 1 dog, how many different options do I have from a selection of 8 dogs at the pet store?

With only 1 dog to choose, there are C(8,1) = 8 ways to select a single dog from a selection of 8 dogs at the pet store.