Partially Factor Lengthy Expression w/ Maple - Positive Real Numbers

In summary, the problem is to show that the given expression is positive, and to partially factorize it in terms of the expressions $a-b-x$ and $c-b-y$. This problem has been crossposted and suggestions have been made to divide the expression by these factors to simplify it. It is also noted that Mathematica may not be able to fully solve the problem.
kalish1
I need to show that the following expression,
$$a^3b-a^3c+a^3z+a^3x+a^3y-a^2bx+a^2by+a^2cx-a^2cy-a^2zx+a^2zy-a^2x^2+a^2y^2-abcz-abcx-aczx-acx^2+b^2c^2+2bc^2x+c^2x^2-b^2c-2bcx-cx^2,$$

is positive

given that:

$1.$ $\ a,b,c,x,y,z$ are positive real numbers

$2. \ \ a>b+x$

$3. \ \ c<b+y$

I know a priori that the expression is indeed positive, but I do not know how to show it, or how to use Maple to do it?

Specifically, how can I use Maple to partially factorize the expression in terms of the expressions $a-b-x$ and $c-b-y$?

Thanks for any help.

This question has been crossposted here: inequality - In Maple, how can I partially factor a lengthy symbolic expression (23 terms in 6 variables)? - Mathematics Stack Exchange

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem! I don't know much about Maple, but I can say that if $a-b-x$ or $c-b-y$ is a factor, then you should be able to divide your big expression by these factors, and get a simpler one. Even if it doesn't come out even, dividing the big expression by these two factors might help you out.

Mathematica might not be too helpful. If I FullSimplify the second division, I get
$$\frac{a^3 (-(b-c+x+y+z))+a^2 (x-y) (b-c+x+y+z)+a c (b+x) (x+z)-(c-1) c
(b+x)^2}{b-c+y}.$$

So, if Mathematica can't do it, I'm not certain Maple could do it, either. Mathematica is usually regarded by most as the best at symbolic manipulation.

1. What is a partially factored lengthy expression?

A partially factored lengthy expression is an algebraic expression that has been partly simplified by factoring out common factors, but still contains multiple terms that cannot be factored further.

2. Why is it important to factor expressions?

Factoring expressions helps simplify them and make them easier to work with. It also allows us to identify common factors and potentially cancel them out, making calculations more efficient.

3. How do you factor expressions using Maple?

To factor expressions using Maple, you can use the factor command. This command takes in an expression as its argument and returns the factored form of the expression.

4. Can you partially factor expressions with negative numbers?

Yes, expressions can be partially factored with negative numbers. However, it is important to keep track of the signs and ensure they are distributed correctly when factoring out common factors.

5. How can partially factored expressions help in solving real-world problems?

Partially factored expressions can help in solving real-world problems by simplifying complex equations and making them easier to understand and work with. This can be particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.