Partially unpicking coordinate rotation

In summary, the speaker measured a vector multiple times and used a computer program to process the data. The program successfully performed various tasks, including rotating the coordinate system about all three axes. However, the program did not provide the rotation angles, which are needed to determine the amount of w that acts along the original z axis. The speaker will need to use the values for u, v, and w along the new axes and the rotation angles to calculate this. If the program did not provide the rotation angles, the speaker may need to adjust the settings or use a different method to obtain them.
Snow1
I measured a vector many times, and then processed the data using a computer program. The program did a great many useful things, including rotate the coordinate system about all three axes.

I have measured values for x, y, and z along the original axes. The program helpfully gave me the values for the same vectors (u, v, and w) along the new axes. However, it did not provide the rotation angles.

I need to know how much of w acts along the original z axis. I do not need how much u and v act along the original z axis, only w.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your results. It sounds like your computer program was able to perform some complex calculations and provide you with useful data. However, it seems that you are now facing a challenge in interpreting the results and specifically determining the amount of w that acts along the original z axis.

To answer your question, you will need to use the values for u, v, and w along the new axes, as well as the rotation angles for each axis. These rotation angles will tell you how much the coordinate system was rotated about each axis, which will allow you to determine the amount of w that acts along the original z axis.

If your program did not provide the rotation angles, you may need to go back and check the settings or parameters that you used when running the program. Alternatively, you could try using a different program or method to calculate the rotation angles. Once you have these values, you can use them to determine the amount of w that acts along the original z axis.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research.

1. What is coordinate rotation?

Coordinate rotation is a mathematical process used to change the orientation of a set of points in a coordinate system. It involves rotating the axes of the coordinate system while keeping the points fixed, resulting in a new set of coordinates for the same points.

2. Why is coordinate rotation used?

Coordinate rotation is used to simplify complex mathematical problems, such as calculating the position of an object in space, by changing the orientation of the coordinate system. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate objects in 3D space.

3. What does it mean to partially unpick coordinate rotation?

Partially unpicking coordinate rotation refers to the process of undoing a portion of a coordinate rotation. This can be done by rotating the axes back to their original position, or by rotating the points in the opposite direction of the original rotation.

4. When would someone need to partially unpick coordinate rotation?

Someone may need to partially unpick coordinate rotation if they want to reverse the effects of a previous rotation or if they only want to undo a portion of a rotation. This can be useful in certain mathematical calculations or in computer graphics when trying to achieve a specific orientation.

5. Is it possible to partially unpick coordinate rotation without completely undoing it?

Yes, it is possible to partially unpick coordinate rotation without completely undoing it. This can be achieved by using a combination of rotating the axes and rotating the points in the opposite direction. However, the exact method will depend on the specific situation and the desired outcome.