Particle Focusing using EM fields

In summary, the conversation is about creating a magnetic field to confine a particle between four magnets. The main areas of discussion are creating a magnetic field opposite in charge to the particle and confining the particle within a certain space. The person asking the question has found resources but is still looking for more information on the interaction between EM fields and charged ions. They mention wanting to achieve something similar to what CERN does with particle accelerators and mention the use of Penning traps or Paul traps for trapping ions. They ask for recommended readings on electromagnetism.
AdrianHudson
Good day all!

I have a question that has been in my head bouncing around for a while and I figured the best resource would be here as I can't find anymore related information (Or I am just looking in the incorrect spot). My apologies if this is in the wrong section I wasn't too sure where to post this.

----
Question: Say you have a particle in non-specific point(Unfixed)? - for this example it is point A - (You can find it in the attached image I drew up)

If particle A is lying in a point between 4 Magnets (This value is just arbitrary for demonstration purposes) :
How would one go about creating a magnetic field of some value to confine a particle into a space fixated in between the magnets.

Main areas of discussion --

Creation of magnetic field opposite in charge to particle A -- Assuming its a positively charged ion

Confining a particle within a certain space -- creating magnetic fields that would't allow a particle to move anywhere but within this "eye" so to speak with the magnetic field acting as "barriers".
--

My attempts at finding an answer have brought me to resources that weren't always so helpful whether it be my lack of my knowledge about this specific area of physics or vague answers regarding the interaction between EM fields and Charged Ions (Which is what I am trying to figure out).

For example I am not trying to achieve a particle accelerator but CERN does exactly what I am trying to do by using magnets to bend the path of a particle. I am trying to achieve this but I would like a particle to be located within a confined space located in between all magnets.

Attachments

• Prototype Illustration.png
    Prototype Illustration.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to trap an ion, you will need something like a Penning trap or a Paul trap.

If you want to know more about particle trapping, you can read https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1989/paul-lecture.pdf.

AdrianHudson said:
Good day all!
the interaction between EM fields and Charged Ions (Which is what I am trying to figure out).
That you should find in any textbook on electromagnetism.

DrClaude said:
If you want to trap an ion, you will need something like a Penning trap or a Paul trap.

If you want to know more about particle trapping, you can read https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1989/paul-lecture.pdf.That you should find in any textbook on electromagnetism.

Do you have any recommended readings? Textbooks would be best, thanks for you quick reply.

*edit, forgot to mention thank you for the penning trap link. Thats perfect!*

1. How does particle focusing using EM fields work?

Particle focusing using EM fields works by using electromagnetic forces to manipulate the motion of charged particles. This can be achieved through various methods such as applying electric and magnetic fields, or using dielectric structures to create electric fields that can focus particles.

2. What types of particles can be focused using EM fields?

EM fields can be used to focus a wide range of particles including electrons, protons, ions, and even nanoparticles. The size and charge of the particles will determine the type and strength of EM fields needed for effective focusing.

3. What are the applications of particle focusing using EM fields?

Particle focusing using EM fields has a variety of applications in fields such as biotechnology, medicine, and materials science. It can be used for particle separation, purification, and sorting, as well as for creating precise patterns and structures on surfaces.

4. What are the advantages of using EM fields for particle focusing?

One of the main advantages of using EM fields for particle focusing is the ability to manipulate particles without physically touching them, which reduces the risk of contamination. EM fields also offer precise control over particle motion and can be easily adjusted for different particle sizes and types.

5. Are there any limitations to particle focusing using EM fields?

While EM fields have many advantages for particle focusing, there are also some limitations. The strength and direction of the fields must be carefully controlled for effective focusing, and the process may be affected by environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, certain types of particles may be more difficult to focus using EM fields.