Particle in a box : Schrodinger Eq

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different equations to prove a wave equation for a particle in a box. The question is raised about the validity of using the equation Eq = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx) instead of the more common equation Eq = Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx). The conversation concludes that both equations are valid and correspond to the same physical state, with the only difference being an arbitrary complex phase. The use of one equation over the other is a matter of convention and may have slight mathematical advantages.
postechsung
Homework Statement
Particle in a box
Relevant Equations
Schrodinger Eq
Hi, I'm trying to prove a wave equation of particle in a box situation.
In many solutions, they used a equation like Eq = Asin(kx)+Bcos(kx).
Instead, I want to prove using Eq = Aexp(ikx) + Bexp(-ikx).
So, this is my solution.
1603111981005.png

However, the original (well-known) solution is without i. (psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(n pi x/L)
Is two wave function is same? or is there any error in my solution?
Sorry for my bad English. I'm new to here and looking forward to get help.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are same. Any factor of magnitude 1 ,##e^{i\phi}##, can be multiplied to the answer.

Likes postechsung
postechsung said:
However, the original (well-known) solution is without i. (psi = sqrt(2/L) sin(n pi x/L)
Is two wave function is same? or is there any error in my solution?
It's not the same wave function, but it corresponds to the same physical state. Physical states are defined up a an arbitrary complex phase ##e^{i \phi}##.

Likes postechsung
DrClaude said:
It's not the same wave function, but it corresponds to the same physical state. Physical states are defined up a an arbitrary complex phase ##e^{i \phi}##.
If it's not the same wave function, does it mean there is an error in my solution?
Thanks for replying!

postechsung said:
If it's not the same wave function, does it mean there is an error in my solution?
Thanks for replying!
Both ##\psi_n(x)## and ##i\psi_n(x)## are normalised solutions of the equation. The mathematics cannot prefer one to the other. As the equation is linear, any solution can be expressed as a linear combination of ##\psi_n(x)## or a linear combination of ##i\psi_n(x)##. These are, therefore, equally valid as a set of basis solutions (eigenfunctions).

The only reason to choose ##\psi_n(x)## (by convention) is that the ##i## is unnecessary. And, having the eigenfunctions real valued may make them slightly easier to work with.

Likes postechsung
anuttarasammyak said:
They are same. Any factor of magnitude 1 ,##e^{i\phi}##, can be multiplied to the answer.
DrClaude said:
PeroK said:
Both ##\psi_n(x)## and ##i\psi_n(x)## are normalised solutions of the equation. The mathematics cannot prefer one to the other. As the equation is linear, any solution can be expressed as a linear combination of ##\psi_n(x)## or a linear combination of ##i\psi_n(x)##. These are, therefore, equally valid as a set of basis solutions (eigenfunctions).

The only reason to choose ##\psi_n(x)## (by convention) is that the ##i## is unnecessary. And, having the eigenfunctions real valued may make them slightly easier to work with.

Thanks for amazing answers for solving my question.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation and how does it relate to a particle in a box?

The Schrodinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It relates to a particle in a box by providing a mathematical representation of the energy levels and wave function of a particle confined within a potential well, or "box".

2. What is the significance of a particle in a box in quantum mechanics?

A particle in a box is a simple model used to understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It allows us to study the properties of quantum systems, such as energy levels and wave functions, in a controlled and simplified environment.

3. How does the width of the box affect the energy levels of a particle in a box?

The width of the box, or the size of the potential well, directly affects the energy levels of a particle in a box. A wider box will have lower energy levels, while a narrower box will have higher energy levels. This is because the size of the box determines the allowed wavelengths of the particle's wave function.

4. What is the significance of the boundary conditions in the Schrodinger Equation for a particle in a box?

The boundary conditions in the Schrodinger Equation for a particle in a box represent the constraints placed on the particle's wave function at the edges of the potential well. These conditions determine the allowed energy levels and wave functions of the particle, and play a crucial role in understanding its behavior.

5. Can the Schrodinger Equation for a particle in a box be solved analytically?

Yes, the Schrodinger Equation for a particle in a box can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and boundary conditions. This allows us to determine the exact energy levels and wave functions of the particle, making it a valuable tool in understanding quantum systems.