Particle properties conclusion from no-slit diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inferring particle properties from diffraction patterns with no slit or slits involved. The idea of using absorption lines from a single source passing through a slit is mentioned, but it is unclear if the same can be done with two sources. The conversation also mentions interference patterns with two radio frequency sources and single photons using a beamsplitter and mirrors. Ultimately, it is suggested that a well-ordered interference pattern can only be achieved if the two sources are in phase or have a constant relative phase.
roineust
Is it possible to infer particle properties from 2 sources diffraction with no slit/slits involved?

Some explanations of experiments i can find, if i understand them correctly at all, relate to the possibility of concluding particle momentum, from absorption lines, when emanating from a single source, passing though a slit or slits. But is it possible to infer particle properties such as momentum, from diffraction patterns emanating from 2 sources, with no slit or slits which the particle/wave passes though?

Am i making any sense with this question or have i just made a huge mess of quantum mechanics basics?

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, I don't think you can do much with just two photons, at least not much more than you can with a single photon.
It may be of interest to look at two r-f (radio frequency) (antenna) sources: Yes, they do make an interference pattern and there are no slits involved.

Likes roineust
But can any particle properties be inferred from no-slit interference pattern, the same way that, if i understand correctly, particle properties are inferred from slit experiments absorption lines and granularity?

I forgot to mention that the two r-f sources need to be in phase or have a constant relative phase. Otherwise, you do not get a well-ordered interference pattern. Two individual photons will not give a regular interference pattern.
They have actually done experiments with single photons using a beamsplitter and mirrors=Michelson interferometer. If I remember correctly, the result was a single photon can produce an interference pattern, i.e. If there are numerous single photon events, you do get an interference pattern.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of conducting a no-slit diffraction experiment?

The purpose of conducting a no-slit diffraction experiment is to study the properties of particles, such as their size, shape, and behavior, without the interference of a slit. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the particles' properties and can provide valuable insights for various scientific fields.

How does a no-slit diffraction experiment differ from a traditional diffraction experiment?

In a traditional diffraction experiment, a slit is used to create a diffraction pattern. However, in a no-slit diffraction experiment, there is no slit present, and the particles are allowed to pass through a larger opening. This results in a different diffraction pattern and allows for the observation of unique particle properties.

What are some possible conclusions that can be drawn from a no-slit diffraction experiment?

Some possible conclusions that can be drawn from a no-slit diffraction experiment include the size and shape of the particles, their behavior under different conditions, and the presence of any unique properties or interactions between the particles. These conclusions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental nature of particles and their role in various natural phenomena.

Can a no-slit diffraction experiment be used to study all types of particles?

Yes, a no-slit diffraction experiment can be used to study a wide range of particles, including atoms, molecules, and even larger particles like proteins. However, the experimental setup and techniques may vary depending on the type of particles being studied.

What are some potential applications of understanding particle properties from no-slit diffraction experiments?

The understanding of particle properties from no-slit diffraction experiments has various potential applications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and biology. It can also aid in the development of new technologies and advancements in fields such as nanotechnology and drug delivery systems.