Particle track detector to measure the charge of a particle

In summary, if the sagitta is less than half of the mean value for the particle's momentum, then the detector will give the wrong sign with 90% confidence.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The detector is made of two co-planar layers of silicon two metres apart, and there is a plane of wire chambers halfway between them. The wire chamber can measure a track with precision ##100\mu##m. What is the highest momentum a particle can have for which the detector will give the correct sign of the charge with 90% confidence?

There is a 1T field perpendicular to all the planes of the detector, ignore the effects of resolution and assume the track of the particle can be considered orthogonal to both the planes of the detector and the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is going to involve the sagitta in some way. I have a couple of diagrams showing what I think is going on. In the diagrams ##s## is the sagitta and ##L## is the length of the charged particle track. Then I think the statement about precision means the error in the measurement of the sagitta is ##\pm 50\mu##m. ##B=1##T, ##L=2##m. I have also shown that ##s=\frac{L^2}{8r}## and given that ##p = eBr## where ##p## is momentum perpendicular to the field then
##p=\frac{eBL^2}{8s}##
My thoughts on what I need to do are that it might just be some sort of error propagation calculation, or that I need to find the point at which the sagitta is so small that to within error the track might be measured to curve the opposite way to what it really does, which would give the wrong charge of the particle. But I don't know how to actually do either of those things, I am very stuck!

I really appreciate any help. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear what "precision of 100 micrometer" means, but I would use it as standard deviation, not as twice the standard deviation.
An actual detector will have a position-dependent uncertainty so you have to integrate over positions, but that is beyond the scope of this problem.

The sign of the charge is the sign of the sagitta. How large does it have to be for a 10% chance to be measured with the wrong sign?

Likes Kara386
mfb said:
It is unclear what "precision of 100 micrometer" means, but I would use it as standard deviation, not as twice the standard deviation.
An actual detector will have a position-dependent uncertainty so you have to integrate over positions, but that is beyond the scope of this problem.

The sign of the charge is the sign of the sagitta. How large does it have to be for a 10% chance to be measured with the wrong sign?
Ah, so I can assume it's distributed normally and use the tables to find the mean such that when the sagitta is zero only ten percent of values are above it. Thank you!

1. What is a particle track detector?

A particle track detector is a device used in particle physics to measure the trajectory of charged particles. It is composed of layers of material that are sensitive to the passage of charged particles, allowing for the detection and measurement of their charge and energy.

2. How does a particle track detector work?

A particle track detector works by detecting the ionization and excitation of atoms in the material as a charged particle passes through it. This creates a visible track that can be recorded and measured to determine the charge and energy of the particle.

3. What are the advantages of using a particle track detector?

Particle track detectors have several advantages, including high sensitivity, high spatial resolution, and the ability to measure both the charge and energy of a particle. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to construct, making them widely used in particle physics experiments.

4. What are some common applications of particle track detectors?

Particle track detectors have a wide range of applications, including particle physics research, medical imaging, and environmental radiation monitoring. They are also used in particle accelerators and cosmic ray detection systems.

5. How are particle track detectors calibrated?

Particle track detectors are calibrated by exposing them to known sources of radiation with well-known energy and particle type. The resulting tracks can then be analyzed to determine the detector's response and calibrate it for future use.