Partition Function for Spin-1 One Dimensional Ising Model

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for a one-dimensional Ising model with no external magnetic field and non-periodic boundary conditions. The partition function is given by a sum of exponential terms, which can be evaluated using the transfer matrix method. However, the summation is not straightforward and further investigation is needed. The paper will also include a numerical comparison to the theoretical result. Ultimately, the partition function is found to be equal to $$Z=2^{N-1}(2cosh(\beta J)+1)^{N-1}$$ with the origin of the term $$2^{N-1}$$ still needing clarification.
pauladancer
Homework Statement
Hi everyone,
I'm writing a paper for my statistical mechanics course and require the partition function for the spin-1 Ising model. I've searched for a solution, but can't find one anywhere. I'm hoping to get some help!
Relevant Equations
See below
$$H=-J\sum_{i=1}^{N-1}\sigma_i\sigma_{i+1}$$ There is no external magnetic field, so the Hamiltonian is different than normal, and the spins $\sigma_i$ can be -1, 0, or 1. The boundary conditions are non-periodic (the chain just ends with the Nth spin)
$$Z=e^{-\beta H}$$
$$Z=\sum_{\sigma_1}...\sum_{\sigma_{N-1}}e^{\beta J\sum_{i=1}^{N-2}\sigma_i\sigma_{i+1}}\sum_{\sigma_N}e^{\beta J\sigma_{N-1}\sigma_N}$$
and here's where I get lost, I'm not sure how to evaluate this sum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update: It seems that the transfer matrix method is the best way to do this, but I cannot find the correct expression for the partition function in matrix form if the boundary conditions are not periodic.

I don't think I'll be of any real help, but let me try.
  • For your paper, are you explicitly not allowed to use periodic BCs?
  • Are you allowed to model it numerically?
  • Have you tried all the summation identities that seem reasonable? Maybe an index shift would work.

I am modelling DNA as a one dimensional Ising model, and so I don't think it would be wise to use periodic boundary conditions since DNA isn't circular (in eukaryotes anyway). The main part of my paper will be comparing this to a numerical/computational result :) Digging through the internet I've come to the conclusion that the first N-1 sums will contribute a 2, and the final sum contributes $$e^{-\beta J}+e^{\beta J}+1=2cosh(\beta J) +1$$ so the final result is $$Z=2^{N-1}(2cosh(\beta J)+1)^{N-1}$$ I'm not sure I completely understand where the $$2^{N-1}$$ comes from, so if someone could clarify that I'd really appreciate it!

1. What is the partition function for the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model?

The partition function for the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model is a mathematical expression that represents the total number of possible configurations of a system of spin-1 particles in one dimension. It takes into account the energy levels and interactions between the particles, and is used to calculate thermodynamic properties of the system.

2. How is the partition function calculated for the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible configurations of the spin-1 particles, taking into account their energies and interactions. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as the transfer matrix method or the Onsager solution.

3. What are the thermodynamic properties that can be calculated using the partition function for the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model?

The partition function can be used to calculate various thermodynamic properties such as the internal energy, specific heat, magnetization, and susceptibility of the system. These properties provide insight into the behavior of the system at different temperatures and external magnetic fields.

4. What is the significance of the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model in physics?

The spin-1 one dimensional Ising model is a simplified model that has been extensively studied in statistical mechanics. It serves as a starting point for understanding more complex systems, and has applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, materials science, and computer science.

5. Are there any real-world systems that can be described using the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model?

While the spin-1 one dimensional Ising model is a simplified representation of real-world systems, it has been used to model various physical systems such as ferromagnets, liquid crystals, and polymers. It can also be applied to study phase transitions and critical phenomena in these systems.