How Do Hydraulic Systems Apply Pascal's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving hydraulic systems and the calculation of force based on surface area and pressure. The first problem involves a hydraulic press with a large cylinder that has 3 times the surface area of the small cylinder, and a lifting force of 7200 Newtons. The solution is found by dividing the lifting force by 3, resulting in a force of 2400 Newtons. The second problem involves a hydraulic brake system with a force of 25 N applied to a surface area of 5 cm^2, and the task is to find the force that can be exerted on each brake cylinder with a surface area of 100 cm^2. The solution is found by first calculating the pressure using the formula
Abu

Homework Statement

The large cylinder in a hydraulic press has 3 times the surface area of the small cylinder. What force should be applied to the small cylinder to create a lifting force of 7200 Newtons

In a hydraulic-brake system, a force of 25 N can be applied to a surface area of 5 cm^2. What force can thus be exerted on each brake cylinder having an area of 100 cm^2

I have completed these problems but I am unsure if my work makes sense or if it is correct.

Homework Equations

P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first problem, I identified the lifting force, 7200, as P (pressure). I thought that if the large cylinder is 3A (A is surface area), then that means
7200 = F/3A And since surface area is inversely proportional to the pressure, then the force is:
7200/3 = 2400 N

For the second problem, I applied the same formula to first answer for the pressure of the preliminary set of information I am given:
P = F/A
P = 25/5
P = 5
Then I used 500 again to find the force applied for the 100cm^2 cylinder
5 = F/A
5 = F/100
F = 500 Newtons

Are these solutions correct? I am unsure about the units I should be using also, because to me my answer for the second question seems wrong. But that was the only way that made sense to me.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your solution, the lifting FORCE is not a PRESSURE. What is given as 7200 N is the force, not the pressure.

Likes Abu
Chandra Prayaga said:
In your solution, the lifting FORCE is not a PRESSURE. What is given as 7200 N is the force, not the pressure.
Thank you. I was also wondering that too because I thought pressure was Newton per meter squared, not simply Newtons. That makes more sense now..
Also, is the first problem saying that 7200 Newtons is also the force applied for the large cylinder? I am confused about the significance of the first sentence "The large cylinder in a hydraulic press has 3 times the surface area of the small cylinder".

Do you know how a hydraulic press works? Do you have a diagram?

Chandra Prayaga said:
Wow, I just had a moment of realization. I am almost sure I know how a hydraulic press works. I have a very crude diagram I just drew right now on Paint, but I know what it means now by small and large cylinder. I'll post another attempt of the problem in just a moment.
diagram.PNG

Attachments

• diagram.PNG
    diagram.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 2,593
Chandra Prayaga said:
Okay so.. sorry for the delay, but I created a better diagram
Q1.PNG

So here is what I came up with: If the force applied is directly proportional with the surface area, then in order to create a lifting force of 7200 Newtons with 3 times the surface area, then the force applied must be 7200/3 which is 2400 Newtons.
If I did this correct, how is my solution for the second problem? Thank you.

Attachments

• Q1.PNG
    Q1.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,453

1. What is Pascal's Law?

Pascal's Law, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted uniformly in all directions throughout the fluid.

2. How is Pascal's Law applied in real-world situations?

Pascal's Law is applied in various engineering and scientific fields, such as hydraulics and pneumatics. It is used to design and operate systems that use fluids to generate and transmit forces.

3. Can you provide an example of a Pascal's Law problem?

An example of a Pascal's Law problem is a hydraulic lift, where a small force is applied to a small piston, creating a larger force on a larger piston, allowing the lift to raise heavy objects.

4. What are the key factors to consider when solving a Pascal's Law problem?

The key factors to consider when solving a Pascal's Law problem are the pressure applied, the area of the piston, and the force exerted. It is also important to consider the density and compressibility of the fluid being used.

5. How does Pascal's Law relate to other principles in physics?

Pascal's Law is closely related to other principles in physics, such as Archimedes' principle and Bernoulli's principle. These principles all involve the behavior of fluids and how pressure is distributed within them.