Passion for aviation, where to start? A high school student

In summary, if you do not know where to start in your field of interest, looking for hands on experience may be a good idea.
AviationBoy
Hello everyone,

I'm a high school 10th grader from Thailand studying at a rigorous private boarding school in the US. I have a passion for aviation and aeroplanes, and my dream is to be an aerospace engineer. The problem is though, I do not know where to start.

Seeing my friends at school following their passions, whether it being computer engineering, game development, investment, etc. They all seem to have a place to start gaining experience in whatever they are interested in, IE a friend of mine who enjoys coding found a XSS loophole in Microsoft website and was listed on the hall of fame...

With the examples of my friend, I feel kind of left out. I really do not know where to start building my experience in this field. All I could do is to read and study planes specifications (which I actually do enjoy), which I figured it does not really help me that much. While I enjoy mathematics and physics (taking AP Calculus), I still feel like I could do better in trying to find something that will help me in this career path later on.

So the question is: What can I do right now in high school to help myself achieve the dream of being an aerospace engineer?

Thank you guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing that will probably help you is some hands on experience. I remember something in my high school called "Science Olympiad" that had some competition involving a glider. I also remember it being kinda lame... Why not take a look at a local community college? See if they have a club called "Design Build and Fly" - I assure you that you will be immersed in aviation quickly!One more thing:
If I had the confidence and encouragement to match my passion and ambition back when I was in high school, I would have gotten a great deal more out of college. Not to say that it wasn't fulfilling, it very much was. Take chances and see what happens.

Hello there,

First of all, it's great to hear that you have a passion for aviation and aeroplanes! That's definitely a great starting point for pursuing a career as an aerospace engineer.

One thing you could do right now in high school is to join any clubs or organizations related to aerospace or engineering. This could give you hands-on experience and exposure to the field. You could also look for internships or job shadowing opportunities at aerospace companies or organizations. This will not only give you valuable experience, but also help you make connections in the industry.

Additionally, you could consider taking online courses or workshops in aerospace engineering. This will help you gain more knowledge and skills in the field, and also show your dedication and interest to potential future employers.

Furthermore, participating in science fairs or competitions related to aerospace engineering could also be beneficial. This will give you the opportunity to work on projects and showcase your skills and knowledge to a wider audience.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of networking. Reach out to professionals in the aerospace industry, whether it be through LinkedIn or other networking events, and ask for their advice and insights. They may be able to offer guidance and even potential opportunities for you to gain experience.

Overall, the key is to be proactive and take advantage of any opportunities that come your way. Best of luck in pursuing your dream of becoming an aerospace engineer!

1. What are some ways to get involved in aviation as a high school student?

There are several ways to get involved in aviation as a high school student. One option is to join a local aviation club or organization, such as the Civil Air Patrol or the Young Eagles program. Another option is to take aviation-related courses at your high school or enroll in a flight training program at a local airport. You can also attend aviation events and airshows to learn more about the industry and network with professionals.

2. What skills or qualifications do I need to pursue a career in aviation?

To pursue a career in aviation, it is important to have strong math and science skills, as well as good spatial awareness and problem-solving abilities. Most careers in aviation also require a college degree, so it is important to focus on your academic studies and maintain a high GPA. Additionally, having a passion for aviation and a strong work ethic will set you apart in this competitive field.

3. How can I gain hands-on experience in aviation while still in high school?

One way to gain hands-on experience in aviation is to participate in a flight simulator program or enroll in a ground school course. You can also find internships or job shadowing opportunities at local airports or aviation companies. Additionally, joining a flying club or finding a mentor in the aviation industry can provide you with valuable hands-on experience and guidance.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid available for high school students interested in aviation?

Yes, there are various scholarships and financial aid options available for high school students interested in aviation. Some organizations, such as the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), offer scholarships specifically for young aspiring pilots. Additionally, many colleges and universities have aviation programs that offer financial aid for students pursuing a career in aviation.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest developments and opportunities in the aviation industry?

To stay updated on the latest developments and opportunities in the aviation industry, you can subscribe to aviation magazines and websites, follow aviation organizations on social media, and attend industry events and conferences. It can also be helpful to network with professionals in the industry and join online forums or communities for aviation enthusiasts.