Passive Harmonic Filters (Power System)

In summary, when using a passive filter to filter harmonic currents in a power system, it needs to be connected in shunt with the load and provide a low impedance path for the tuned harmonic. If the load is not connected to ground, the filter will not work as there needs to be a return wire for the current to flow through. The connections for the filter should be low resistance copper wires. Additionally, the passive filter can be connected in either wye or delta, but if compensating for the third harmonic, a similar setup to the one shown in the diagram would be needed.
EEstudent90
Hi again, got a few questions (marked with numbers) for passive filters used to filter harmonic currents in the power system.

1. Look at my one-line diagram below. Let's say I have a passive filter connected in shunt with respect to the load and the passive filter "diverts" the harmonic currents it is tuned for (let's say 5th harmonic) to ground. If my non-linear load is not connected to ground, would the passive filter work? We do not have any closed path for the harmonics to circulate in (if we neglect the capacitance between the load and earth), so I don't see how it could work. But I could use a delta connected passive filter, to provide the closed loop right? (Question 3 is somewhat related to this aswell).
  2. The main idea of a shunt passive filter is to provide a low impedance path for the tuned harmonic, so if the current has to flow through ground as shown in my picture below, this would be a relatively high impedance path right? Would we have to install a conductor to reduce this impedance?
upload_2017-9-24_12-8-4.png

Next question:
3. I have seen that you can connect the passive filters in either wye or delta. If I chose a delta connected passive filter, and I would want to provide a closed low impedance path for the third harmonic this would not work right? As the third harmonic is a so called zero sequence current, and the delta connection would look like a dead end, i.e. not a closed loop.

So if I wanted to compensate the third harmonics using a passive filter, I would need a similar setup as shown in my paint drawing above?Sorry if my post is a bit messy, I tried my best. Thanks for any help.
Best regards​

Engineering news on Phys.org
EEstudent90 said:
If my non-linear load is not connected to ground,
If the load doesn't have a return wire then it draws no current so is not a load. The "earth" wire you want to not have is just a convenient way to represent the essential second wire for current that powers the load. I think it should be termed the "neutral". The purpose of the filter is to provide a path that bypasses the harmonic current around the load, so the passive filter needs to correctly connect in shunt with the load. The connections need to be low resistance, so will be copper wires (even if one is named "earth").

MainsFilterCircuits.gif

Likes donpacino
NascentOxygen said:
If the load doesn't have a return wire then it draws no current so is not a load. The "earth" wire you want to not have is just a convenient way to represent the essential second wire for current that powers the load. I think it should be termed the "neutral". The purpose of the filter is to provide a path that bypasses the harmonic current around the load, so the passive filter needs to correctly connect in shunt with the load. The connections need to be low resistance, so will be copper wires (even if one is named "earth").

I realize now that Q1 and Q2 might have been "stupid" :), I guess I got confused when I read a pdf I was studying saying "harmonic currents are diverted to ground" and should have thought about it before posting.

1. What is a passive harmonic filter?

A passive harmonic filter is an electrical device that is used to mitigate and control harmonics in power systems. It works by providing a low impedance path for the harmonic currents to flow through, thereby reducing their impact on the system.

2. How does a passive harmonic filter work?

A passive harmonic filter consists of a series of inductors, capacitors, and resistors that are designed to create a tuned circuit that is designed to absorb the harmonic currents. The inductors and capacitors work together to create a low impedance path for the harmonic currents to flow through, while the resistors dissipate the energy of the harmonics as heat.

3. What are the benefits of using a passive harmonic filter?

The main benefit of using a passive harmonic filter is that it helps to improve the quality of power in a system. By reducing the levels of harmonics, it can prevent damage to equipment, reduce energy losses, and improve the efficiency of the system. It can also help to comply with regulatory standards for power quality.

4. How do you determine the size and type of passive harmonic filter needed for a specific system?

The size and type of passive harmonic filter needed for a specific system depends on several factors, including the level of harmonics present, the type of load, and the desired level of harmonic mitigation. A thorough analysis of the system must be conducted to determine the appropriate filter size and type.

5. Can passive harmonic filters be used in all types of power systems?

Yes, passive harmonic filters can be used in all types of power systems, including single-phase and three-phase systems. However, the size and type of filter needed may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the system. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer to determine the most suitable filter for a particular power system.