Path to Mining Engineering Career

In summary, the speaker is a student at the University of Richmond with the original goal of pursuing the 3/2 engineering program at Columbia University. However, they have now decided to go into Mining and Minerals, which is not offered at Columbia. They are considering getting two BS degrees in physics and chemistry instead, but are unsure of job opportunities in the Mining and Minerals field with this combination. Another option suggested is a combination of mechanical engineering and geology. The speaker also mentions a friend who did a postgraduate diploma in mining engineering but still works under colleagues with engineering degrees. Additionally, the speaker provides a link to the Columbia University website, which shows that mining engineering is indeed offered at the university.
echandler
So, I am a student at the university of Richmond, a small liberal arts college, and my goal coming in was to go for the 3/2 engineering program partnership with Columbia, but I decided that I wanted to go into Mining and Minerals, which happens to be one of the few Engineering programs that Columbia does not have. I would prefer not to transfer to somewhere else, so the question arises: If I were to stay and push hard and get two BS, one in physics and one in Chemistry, would there be much job opportunity's in the Mining and Minerals world?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I don't think you'd learn much that could be directly applied to mining engineering from physics and chemistry.
Mechanical engineering and geology are probably a better combination. But HR and CV filtering being what it is a specific mining degree is probably much bet if you have your heart set on it.
I have a friend who did a BS in geology and a postgraduate diploma in mining engineering - He still works under guys with engineering degrees - He just doesn't have the engineering background to do what they do.

I am not sure who told you that you can't do mining engineering in Columbia University, but according to their website there is a department that deals with it. Here's the link: http://www.seas.columbia.edu/earth/hksm/default.htm

Hope that helps.

1. What is mining engineering?

Mining engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the extraction, exploration, and processing of minerals from the earth. It involves the design, construction, and operation of mines, as well as the management of natural resources.

2. What are the educational requirements for a career in mining engineering?

To become a mining engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in mining engineering or a related field such as geological engineering, civil engineering, or environmental engineering. Some employers may also require a master's degree for certain positions.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful career in mining engineering?

Mining engineers should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of geology and mining principles. They should also possess strong communication and leadership skills, as they often work with a team and may have to interact with different stakeholders.

4. What job opportunities are available for mining engineers?

Mining engineers can work in various industries, including mining companies, consulting firms, government agencies, and research institutions. They may also have opportunities to work internationally, as mining is a global industry.

5. What is the outlook for a career in mining engineering?

The demand for minerals and natural resources continues to grow, making mining engineering an in-demand profession. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of mining and geological engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, about as fast as the average for all occupations.