Pathria page 2 -- total energy for mutually interacting particles

In summary: The energy of the system includes the interaction energy between particles, so you cannot add it on again as if it were a separate contribution.
spaghetti3451
In page 2 of Pathria's textbook on 'Statistical Mechanics,' it is mentioned that

Consider the total energy ##E## of the system. If the particles comprising the system could be regarded as noninteracting, the total energy ##E## would be equal to the sum of the energies ##\epsilon_i## of the individual particles:

##E = \sum_{i} n_{i}\epsilon_{i},##

where ##n_i## denotes the number of particles each with energy ##\epsilon_i##.

If the particles were mutually interacting, the total energy ##E##
cannot be written in the form above.

Why can't the total energy be written in the form above for mutually interacting particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
Why can't the total energy be written in the above for mutually interacting particles?
Hi failexam:

Since no one has replied to your question for a while, I will try to be helpful, although I am very rusty about this topic.

The interaction of the particles implies that there is additional internal energy in these interactions that is not part of the energy of the individual particles. Here is an example. Suppose the particles are small dust particles, each with a very small electric charge, say all negative. Suppose the charge on each particle is so small that the electrostatic repulsive force between particle is about half the gravitational attractive force. The total energy is the sum of the energy of all the particles, plus additional energy in the electrostatic field.

The details in this scenario may not be quite right, but perhaps it will help you find some helpful and more accurate information on the internet.

Regards,
Buzz

If you try it, you will find you are double counting!

Related to Pathria page 2 -- total energy for mutually interacting particles

1. What is the total energy for mutually interacting particles?

The total energy for mutually interacting particles is the sum of the kinetic energy and the potential energy of all particles in the system. It is a measure of the total amount of energy present in the system.

2. How is the total energy calculated for mutually interacting particles?

The total energy for mutually interacting particles can be calculated using the Hamiltonian, which is a mathematical function that takes into account the position and momentum of each particle in the system. It is given by the sum of the kinetic and potential energies: H = T + V.

3. What is the significance of the total energy for mutually interacting particles?

The total energy is a fundamental quantity in the study of systems of particles. It allows us to understand the behavior and dynamics of the particles in the system, and it is conserved in a closed system where no external forces are acting.

4. Can the total energy for mutually interacting particles be negative?

Yes, the total energy can be negative if the potential energy of the system is greater than the kinetic energy. This can occur in systems with attractive interactions, such as in a gravitational or electromagnetic field.

5. How does the total energy change when particles interact with each other?

The total energy of the system can change when particles interact with each other. For example, if two particles with opposite charges interact, their potential energy increases, leading to a decrease in the total energy of the system. However, the total energy is conserved and can only change if there are external forces acting on the system.