Pattern of variables with absolute value exponents

In summary, on ##x\in{(-1,1)}##, ##x\in{\mathbb{R}}##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}}##, ##x^{|2n|}=O(x^{|2n+1|})##, which means that for all natural numbers n, ##x^{2n}## is bounded by ##kx^{2n+1}## on some open interval containing ##x=0##.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Want to prove that, raised to an absolute value, monomials behave bounded
Relevant Equations
Variables raised to natural numbers in absolute value (for my purpose, I do not consider 0 as belonging to naturals)
On ##x\in{(-1,1)}##, ##x\in{\mathbb{R}}##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}}##, ##x^{|2n|}=O(x^{|2n+1|})##
geogebra-export (1).png

Sugestions? Any answer is wellcome!
Greetings, PF

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the question is well defined as written.

Are you looking for something like ##x^n## is bounded in (-1,1)?

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Since n is a natural number (##n \in \mathbb N##), what is the purpose of absolute values on the exponents? The natural numbers are integers (no fractional part) that are greater than zero, although one definition also includes zero.
With this in mind, ##x^{|2n|} = x^{2n}##, and similarly for ##x^{|2n + 1|}##.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Office_Shredder said:
I don't think the question is well defined as written.

Are you looking for something like ##x^n## is bounded in (-1,1)?
Yes!
(i) ##x^2\leq{x^{2+n}}##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}}##
(ii) We write ##f(x)=O(u(x))## as ##x\rightarrow{a}## provided that $$|f(x)|\leq{k|u(x)|}$$ holds for some constant ##k## on some open interval containing ##x=a##
(iii) ##|x^2|\leq{k|x^{2+n}|}##, for ##k=1##
(iv) ##x^2=O(x^{2+n})##

🤔

##x^2\leq{x^{2+n}}## ?? On ##x\in{(-1,1)}## ??
Am I misssing something essential ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
##x^2\leq{x^{2+n}}## ?? On ##x\in{(-1,1)}## ??
Am I misssing something essential ?

##\ ##
Thanks indeed

@BvU, it is ##x^{2+n}\leq{x^2}## on ##x\in{(-1,1)}##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}}##

Consequently, #4 must be quoted again, arranged:
mcastillo356 said:
(i) ##x^2\leq{x^{2+n}}##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}}##
(ii) We write ##f(x)=O(u(x))## as ##x\rightarrow{a}## provided that $$|f(x)|\leq{k|u(x)|}$$ holds for some constant ##k## on some open interval containing ##x=a##, (##x=0## in this case)
(iii) ##|x^{2+n}|\leq{k|x^2|}##, for some constant ##k##
(iv) ##x^{2+n}=O(x^2)##, e.g. there is a bound: ##x^2##, ##\forall{n\in{\mathbb{N}}},\; x\in{(-1,1)},\; x\rightarrow{0}##
Right? Greetings, PF. Please, check the LaTeX

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of absolute value exponents in a pattern of variables?

Absolute value exponents are important in a pattern of variables because they indicate the magnitude or size of a variable without considering its direction. This is particularly useful when dealing with quantities that can be positive or negative, such as in physics or economics.

2. How do you identify a pattern of variables with absolute value exponents?

A pattern of variables with absolute value exponents can be identified by looking for a consistent increase or decrease in the variable's magnitude, regardless of its direction. This can be seen as a straight line on a graph or a constant ratio in a table of values.

3. Can patterns of variables with absolute value exponents be modeled mathematically?

Yes, patterns of variables with absolute value exponents can be modeled using mathematical equations. This is often done by using absolute value functions, which allow for the representation of both positive and negative values in a single equation.

4. How can patterns of variables with absolute value exponents be used in real-world applications?

Patterns of variables with absolute value exponents can be used in various real-world applications, such as predicting the behavior of stock prices or analyzing the impact of temperature changes on chemical reactions. They can also be used to model natural phenomena, such as population growth or the spread of diseases.

5. Are there any limitations to using absolute value exponents in a pattern of variables?

One limitation of using absolute value exponents in a pattern of variables is that they only consider the magnitude of a variable and not its direction. This may not accurately represent certain situations, such as when the direction of change is important. Additionally, absolute value exponents may not be appropriate for all types of data, such as categorical or qualitative data.