PAX Nuclear Reactor Simulator Question

In summary, the student is looking for help in locating the source code for the program written in a language he does not know. He has unsuccessfully tried to contact the author of the program.
G. Rizzo
Hi to all,
I am currently a student studying chemistry in high-school. My teacher has a program which he runs on very old laptops called the PAX Nuclear Reactor Simulator. I have a bit of experience writing code in C and Java. My teacher has mentioned that the school may trash the laptops which support the simulator due to their age. Because of this, he asked me to try and rewrite the program in Java. We have secured permission from Pennsylvania State University (who apparently have some type of ownership over the program) to hack the program and rewrite it.

I have tried repeatedly to find source code for the program, I have even reached out to the man who wrote it. He did not respond to my emails, and I have been unable to decompile it. The main reason for this is that I do not know the language it is written in.

I am wondering if anyone who reads this post either has the source code, knows where I can get it, or knows what language the program is written in.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In case anyone is looking for it, the PAX reactor website is here.

Sorry I can't help with the source code issue.

But I used to have the backwards compatibility issue frequently at my old job.

Usually compatibility mode would solve or work around the issue. Since PAX is a DOS application you might try this instead.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...rchTerm=&BreadcrumbPath=&TempOsid=Windows+8.1

I know it is not the method you wanted to use.

Out of curiosity; could you avoid the rewritting and just use a DoS emulator such as vDoS or DosBox? That might save you a lot of time...

I discussed that option with my teacher, he likes it, but would still wants it to be rewritten. I think he may be interested in using it embedded on webpages.

Last edited:

What is a PAX nuclear reactor simulator?

A PAX nuclear reactor simulator is a computer program that simulates the operation of a nuclear reactor. It is designed to mimic the behavior of a real nuclear reactor and allows scientists to study and test various scenarios without the risk of a real-life nuclear accident.

How does a PAX nuclear reactor simulator work?

A PAX nuclear reactor simulator uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the physics and thermodynamics of a nuclear reactor. It takes into account factors such as neutron behavior, heat transfer, and fuel depletion to provide an accurate representation of a real nuclear reactor.

What is the purpose of using a PAX nuclear reactor simulator?

The main purpose of a PAX nuclear reactor simulator is to study and analyze the behavior of a nuclear reactor under various conditions. This allows scientists to test different control strategies, identify potential issues, and improve reactor designs, ultimately increasing safety and efficiency.

What are the advantages of using a PAX nuclear reactor simulator?

Using a PAX nuclear reactor simulator has several advantages. It eliminates the need for expensive and potentially dangerous physical experiments, allows for testing of extreme or rare scenarios, and provides a detailed understanding of the reactor's behavior without the need for a physical prototype.

What are some limitations of a PAX nuclear reactor simulator?

While PAX nuclear reactor simulators are powerful tools, they also have some limitations. They are based on mathematical models and therefore may not always accurately reflect the complexities of a real nuclear reactor. Additionally, they require extensive knowledge and expertise to operate and analyze results.