PDE: Laplace's Equation solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the function v(x,y) defined by v(x,y) = u(xcos\theta - ysin\theta, xsin\theta + ycos\theta) is a solution of Laplace's equation. The conversation explores different strategies, including analyzing different cases and using the chain rule, to prove this statement.
dgreenheck

Homework Statement

Suppose that u(x,y) is a solution of Laplace's equation. If [itex]\theta[/itex] is a fixed real number, define the function v(x,y) = u(xcos[itex]\theta[/itex] - ysin[itex]\theta[/itex], xsin[itex]\theta[/itex] + ycos[itex]\theta[/itex]). Show that v(x,y) is a solution of Laplace's equation.

Homework Equations

Laplace's equation: uxx + uyy = 0.

Separated solutions

X''(x) - [itex]\lambda[/itex]X(x)=0.

Y''(y) - [itex]\lambda[/itex]Y(y)=0.

Solutions for [itex]\lambda[/itex] > 0

X(x) = A1ekx + A2e-kx

Y(y) = A3cosky + A4sinky.

Solutions for [itex]\lambda[/itex] < 0

Y(y) = A1ekx + A2e-kx

X(x) = A3cosky + A4sinky.

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by trying to analyze each of the cases ([itex]\lambda[/itex]>0, [itex]\lambda[/itex]<0, [itex]\lambda[/itex]=0) for the solution. But working these out would take forever and I know it isn't the most elegant way of doing it. My thinking is that I can somehow just differentiate the arguments for v(x,y) so I would get a factor of k2sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]cos2[itex]\theta[/itex] for uxx and -k2sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]cos2[itex]\theta[/itex] for uyy. Would this be a valid way of proving the statement to avoid doing all the work? Or is there a better way? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dgreenheck said:
My thinking is that I can somehow just differentiate the arguments for v(x,y) so I would get a factor of k2sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]cos2[itex]\theta[/itex] for uxx and -k2sin2[itex]\theta[/itex]cos2[itex]\theta[/itex] for uyy. Would this be a valid way of proving the statement to avoid doing all the work? Or is there a better way? Thanks.
That is perfectly fine and the way I would do it. It is also likely to be the way intended by whomever wrote the problem.

Separated solutions
X''(x) - λX(x)=0.
Y''(y) + λY(y)=0.there must be "+" , not "-"

by the way

therefore other equation will be changed

Your second strategy would perhaps work best. Since you are given that u satisfies Laplace's equation, it is perhaps a good idea to plug v into Laplace's equation and try to get it in terms of u. Your main tool for that will be the chain rule for scalar fields.

Related to PDE: Laplace's Equation solutions

What is Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics.

What are the solutions to Laplace's Equation?

The solutions to Laplace's Equation vary depending on the boundary conditions of the problem. In general, they can be expressed as a sum of harmonic functions, which are functions that satisfy Laplace's Equation and have continuous second derivatives.

What is a boundary condition in the context of Laplace's Equation?

A boundary condition is a set of constraints that specify the behavior of the scalar field on the boundaries of the region in which Laplace's Equation is being solved. These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine the solutions to the equation.

How is Laplace's Equation solved?

Laplace's Equation can be solved using a variety of methods, including separation of variables, Green's functions, and numerical techniques. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and the complexity of the problem.

What are some real-world applications of Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation has many applications in physics and engineering, including heat transfer, electrostatics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in other fields, such as finance and image processing, to model and analyze various phenomena.