PE license for Civil and mechanical engineers

In summary: If you are confident in your knowledge of the field and feel you have the required experience, I would say go for it. If you are still unsure, speak to your supervisor and get their opinion. Good luck.
LRJ85
To all the civil/mechanical uni. grads out there,

So after u have completed your Bachelor's degree in civil/mechanical engineering and u work for 4 years as an assistant engineer, can u apply to take the FE/FS exam to become a professional engineer? The total fees (registration + exam) is $300. Is it worth getting that PE license?? In what ways will it benefit your career advancement as an engineer??

Below are the links for the FE mech/civil exam formula lists. They are much tougher than i expected.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_mechanical_engineering.pdf
http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_civil_engineering.pdf

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends highly on what your specific job path is going to be. In my field for example, one does not see very many PEs because it's just not necessary. Most of the guys with PEs had them prior to working with us. I have wanted to get my PE just as another feather in my cap, so to speak. I have just never gotten around to it. Plus the references required is a bit tougher to get when you don't directly work for PEs.

If you want to hang up your own shingle and consult you need to have one. Many CE jobs require a certain number of PEs to be on staff.

It really all just depends.

I work at a multi-discipline company (electrical, mechanical, civil, structural, arch.) and it is every engineer's goal there that I know to get licensed. There is an increase in salary after you get it and it increases the company's credentials when bidding on projects to have 'X' number of PE's they can say will be doing the work. I have also had to use mine to stamp my drawings while at my company to get approvals from the jurisdiction.

A must for civil design...

LRJ85 said:
To all the civil/mechanical uni. grads out there,

So after u have completed your Bachelor's degree in civil/mechanical engineering and u work for 4 years as an assistant engineer, can u apply to take the FE/FS exam to become a professional engineer? The total fees (registration + exam) is $300. Is it worth getting that PE license?? In what ways will it benefit your career advancement as an engineer??

Below are the links for the FE mech/civil exam formula lists. They are much tougher than i expected.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_mechanical_engineering.pdf
http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_civil_engineering.pdf

If you want to do design work for a structural, civil, or environmental engineering firm, you must be licensed to advance your career. The FE exam is in many ways harder than the PE exam because it is closed book and because you are asked to do more than the scope of your interests in most cases. When it comes time to take the PE, you have likely settled into a sub-discipline of Civil Engineering and are expected only to know your stuff in that field as opposed to several areas like the FE. It is also an open book test. Most firms reward you financially for obtaining your license and it will be required to move up the ladder to a project manager position or partner/senior staff of a firm. Both tests are a bear and are considered "running the gauntlet", but necessary and worth it. Many companies use the number of registered engineers in their employ as a selling point when searching for clients. In many clients’ eyes it is a measure of competency of the firm.

Related to PE license for Civil and mechanical engineers

What is a PE license for Civil and Mechanical Engineers?

A PE (Professional Engineer) license is a certification that demonstrates an engineer's competence and qualifications in their respective discipline. It is typically required for engineers who work on projects that directly impact public health, safety, and welfare.

How do I obtain a PE license for Civil and Mechanical Engineers?

The requirements for obtaining a PE license vary by state, but generally, it involves completing a four-year ABET-accredited engineering degree, gaining a certain amount of work experience, and passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exams. You may also need to fulfill additional requirements, such as references and a state-specific exam.

What are the benefits of having a PE license for Civil and Mechanical Engineers?

Holding a PE license can open up career opportunities, as it is often required for promotions, leadership roles, and government contracts. It also demonstrates a higher level of expertise and professionalism, which can give clients and employers confidence in your abilities.

Do all Civil and Mechanical Engineers need a PE license?

Not all engineers need a PE license. It depends on the type of work they do and the state in which they practice. Engineers who work on projects that do not directly impact public health, safety, and welfare may not need a PE license. However, it is always beneficial to have one, as it can increase job opportunities and professional credibility.

How do I maintain my PE license for Civil and Mechanical Engineers?

To maintain a PE license, engineers must fulfill continuing education requirements set by their state. This typically involves completing a certain number of professional development hours every year or two. Failure to meet these requirements may result in the suspension or revocation of the PE license.