Pendulum and spring oscillation

In summary, a 5 kg sphere is connected to a thin, massless and rigid rod of length 1.3 m to form a simple pendulum. The rod is connected to a vertical wall by a spring with a spring constant of 75 N/m at a distance of 1.1 m below its point of suspension. To find the angular frequency of the system for small amplitude oscillations, the teacher suggests summing the torques between the two and provides the equation (\tau)net = -Lmgsin\theta - hk\Deltaxsin\beta = m(l^2)\alpha. To solve this, the teacher explains to draw a diagram with two right triangles, one above and one below the sphere
smhippe

Homework Statement

A 5 kg sphere is connected to a thin
massless, but rigid rod of length L = 1.3 m to
form a simple pendulum. The rod is connected
to a nearby vertical wall by a spring with spring
constant k = 75 N/m, connected to it at a
distance h = 1.1 m below its point of
suspension. What is the angular frequency (in
rad/s) of the system for small amplitude
oscillations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was listening to my teacher start to solve this problem. He starting talking about summing the torques between these two. I have the equation he wrote down from it, but I am not too sure what to do with it... ([tex]\tau[/tex])net = -Lmgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] - hk[tex]\Delta[/tex]xsin[tex]\beta[/tex] = m(l^2)[tex]\alpha[/tex]
Note: alpha is not a power...
I know that the small angle theorum makes sin go away. But how is beta and alpha related? And what about delta x? I don't know I've been working on it for a while and now I'm tired. Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw the drawing, you will see that you get two right triangles, one above the sphere and one below. They have a common right side that is Δx. Relate this side to L and θ using the top triangle and to h and β using the bottom triangle.

Related to Pendulum and spring oscillation

1. What is a pendulum and spring oscillation?

A pendulum and spring oscillation is a type of periodic motion in which an object, such as a mass or a pendulum, oscillates back and forth between two points due to the restoring force of a spring or the gravitational force of the Earth.

2. What factors affect the period of a pendulum and spring oscillation?

The period of a pendulum and spring oscillation is affected by the length of the pendulum or spring, the mass of the object, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the oscillation.

3. How does the amplitude affect the motion of a pendulum and spring oscillation?

The amplitude of a pendulum and spring oscillation determines the maximum displacement of the object and does not affect the period. However, larger amplitudes may result in non-linear motion and increased energy loss due to friction.

4. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of a pendulum and spring oscillation?

The period and frequency of a pendulum and spring oscillation are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does damping affect the motion of a pendulum and spring oscillation?

Damping, or the gradual decrease in amplitude over time, can affect the motion of a pendulum and spring oscillation by reducing the number of oscillations and slowing down the period. This can be caused by external forces such as air resistance or internal forces within the spring or pendulum mechanism.