Pendulum - Maximum Angle in 2nd half of swing

In summary: The initial speed is given and it is asked for the maximum angle, so you can use it to solve for V.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a simple pendulum with a length of 2.0 m and an initial speed of 1.2 m/s at the release point. The question is to find the maximum angle the pendulum will reach in the second half of its swing. The approach involves using the equation mg(h1) = mgL(1 - cos θ0) + 1/2 (mV²), where h1 is the elevation reached when potential energy equals total energy transferred. The answer is 30 degrees.
bigsmile
A simple pendulum, 2.0 m in length, is released by a push when the support string is at an angle of 25° from the vertical. If the initial speed of the suspended mass is 1.2 m/s when at the release point, to what maximum angle will it move in the second half of its swing?

Let h1 be the elevation reached when potential energy = total energy transferred.
mg(h1) = mgL(1 - cos θ0) + 1/2 (mV²)

I am not sure if the approach is correct and how to proceed. My trig. background is not that strong at all.

Please help. I believe the answer is 30 degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach is correct. You know everything apart from h1 (and m, but you can divide the equation by m to get rid of it), so you can solve that equation.
With h1 and L you can find the angle.
Alternatively, directly use the angle-dependent expression on the left side.

Thanks for you feedback. I assume h1 = L ( 1 - cos 25 degrees) . Is that right?
I have troubles to find the "V" . I don't think I should use the initial speed 1.2 m/s.
Since it is asking for max angle for 2nd half of swing. Beside theta 0, do I need to set up theta 1 , another angle for 2nd half of swing? Confused.
Need some guidance.

bigsmile said:
I assume h1 = L ( 1 - cos 25 degrees) . Is that right?
Instead of 25 degrees, you have to use the angle you want to calculate there.
bigsmile said:
I have troubles to find the "V" . I don't think I should use the initial speed 1.2 m/s.
Why not?

1. What is the maximum angle reached by a pendulum in the second half of its swing?

The maximum angle reached by a pendulum in the second half of its swing is typically around 90 degrees, although it can vary depending on factors such as the length of the pendulum and the force of gravity.

2. How is the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing calculated?

The maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing can be calculated using the equation θ = sin⁻¹(L/g), where θ is the maximum angle, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because at 90 degrees, the pendulum has reached its maximum potential energy and will begin to swing back towards the center.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing?

Air resistance can reduce the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing by slowing down the pendulum's motion and reducing its kinetic energy. This can ultimately lead to a shorter swing and a lower maximum angle.

5. Can the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing change over time?

Yes, the maximum angle of a pendulum in the second half of its swing can change over time due to factors such as changes in air resistance, changes in the length of the pendulum, or changes in the force of gravity. Other external factors, such as vibrations or friction, can also affect the maximum angle over time.