Pendulum Swinging Speeds: Solving for Initial Velocity and Angle

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the motion of a pendulum with a length of 1.25m and a bob with an initial speed of v0 at an angle of θ0=40.0° with the vertical. We calculated the speed of the bob at its lowest position to be 8.35 m/s using the equations ΔU=-W and W=Δ(KE). We then explored the minimum value of v0 in order for the pendulum to swing down and then up to a horizontal position, and found it to be equal to 6.72 m/s. Finally, we determined the minimum speed at the top of the pendulum for the string to remain straight, which came out to be 0.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A pendulum of length ##L=1.25m##.Its bob (which effectively has all the mass) has speed ##v_0## when the cord makes an angle ##θ_0=40.0^°## with the vertical.##(a)## What is the speed of the bob when it is in its low (est position If ##v_0=8.00m/s## ? What is the least value that ##v_0## can have If the pendulum is to swing down and then up ##(b)## to a horizontal position,and ##(c)## to a vertical position with the chord remaining straight ? ##(d)## Do the answers to parts ##(b)## and ##(c)## increase,decrease,or remain the same if ##θ_0## is increased by a few degrees ?

Homework Equations

##-ΔU=W##
##W=Δ(KE)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I found the answer of (a) using -
##-ΔU=W##
##W=Δ(KE)##
it came ##v=8.35\frac m s##

I didnt understand (b) and part (c).so I stucked there...

Thanks

Attachments

• 1234.png
    1234.png
    2 KB · Views: 345
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I didnt understand (b)
Do the same calculation as you did for part a) to get an expression for the speed v at any given angle, θ, in terms of v0, θ0, L, g and θ.

##\sqrt {(v_0)^2+2gL(cosθ-cosθ_0)}=v##

Arman777 said:
##\sqrt {(v_0)^2+2gL(cosθ-cosθ_0)}=v##
Ok. So what is θ in b)?

Arman777 said:
90 degree
So plug that in. What is the smallest value v0 can have?

Ok I found but for c what would be the angle ?

Arman777 said:
Ok I found but for c what would be the angle ?
θ0? Same as before.

haruspex said:
θ0? Same as before.

θ ?

Arman777 said:
θ ?
You told me in post #5.
I have the feeling that there is something you are not understanding about the question, and I can't figure out what it is.

I found the answer of (b),plotting θ=90
For (c) what is θ=?

Arman777 said:
I found the answer of (b),plotting θ=90
For (c) what is θ=?
I'm very sorry, my eyes kept jumping to the wrong line, so I was reading b instead of c.
For c there is a complication. For b, the speed at the horizontal position could be 0. Could the speed be zero at the top of the loop?

haruspex said:
I'm very sorry, my eyes kept jumping to the wrong line, so I was reading b instead of c.
For c there is a complication. For b, the speed at the horizontal position could be 0. Could the speed be zero at the top of the loop?

It cant

Arman777 said:
It cant
Right. So what is the minimum speed at the top.

##v=2\sqrt {gL}##

Arman777 said:
##v=2\sqrt {gL}##
No. Consider this condition
Arman777 said:
with the cord remaining straight
What forces act on the bob at the top? What must the net force be?

haruspex said:
No. Consider this condition

What forces act on the bob at the top? What must the net force be?

Yeah I made a mistake I know I noticed now

Arman777 said:
v=6.72
That's not right for the speed atthe top. How did you get that? Or is that your answer for v0?

At the bottom total energy is 1/2mv^2 which here v is as we found ot 8.35 and at the top energy is 1/2mv^2+mg2L so I thought the should be equal

Arman777 said:
At the bottom total energy is 1/2mv^2 which here v is as we found ot 8.35 and at the top energy is 1/2mv^2+mg2L so I thought the should be equal
For c, you are finding the initial velocity such that it will reach the top with a straight string. You do not know the KE earlier.
Forget energy for the moment and think about forces. What is the minimum speed at the top for the string to remain straight?

Arman777 said:
T-mg=mv2/r
Right. What is the minimum value of T?

I solved thanks :)

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight that is suspended from a fixed point and is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the principles of potential and kinetic energy. As the pendulum swings, it constantly converts between these two forms of energy.

2. How do you calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing (back and forth). It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, and the strength of gravity. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a heavier weight and a higher gravity will result in a shorter period.

4. How does the amplitude of a pendulum affect its motion?

The amplitude of a pendulum is the maximum angle of swing. It does not affect the period of the pendulum, but it does affect the distance the pendulum travels in each swing. A larger amplitude will result in a longer distance traveled, while a smaller amplitude will result in a shorter distance.

5. What are some practical uses of pendulum-work?

Pendulums have been used for various purposes throughout history. Some practical uses include timekeeping (as seen in pendulum clocks), measuring the force of gravity, and studying the principles of oscillation and harmonic motion. Pendulums are also used in some sports equipment, such as metronomes for musicians and pendulum waves in physics demonstrations.