Pendulum's Tension using Force reasoning and Newtons 3rd Law.

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual question about pendulum problems and the confusion around finding the tension using trigonometry. The speaker shares their approach of using the equation m*g = F (of the Tension) * cos(theta) and how it conflicts with their realization that the force of tension must also equal the gravitational force in the direction of the string. This is clarified by another speaker who explains that the forces balance in the direction of the string, but not in the vertical direction.
spsch
Hi, I have a conceptual question.
I was doing some problems on pendulums and found something that confused me.

I attached a drawing. I used to always solve these problems by using some trigonometry and trying to find the Tension.
i.e. ## m*g = F (of the Tension) * cos(theta) ## so ## \frac {m*g} {cos(theta)} = F ##

But then, if I imagine the string continuing and reason that the Force of the Tension has to also equal the gravitational force in that direction I get
## F = m*g*cos(theta) ## which would make ## m*g*cos(theta) = \frac {m*g} {cos(theta)} ##

Could someone point out where I'm making my thought mistake? Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_103521.jpg
    IMG_20190711_103521.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 162
Physics news on Phys.org
F = mg cosθ because in the direction of the string the forces balance, there is no acceleration.
mg ≠ F cosθ because the forces don't balance in the vertical direction; the acceleration has a component in this direction (except when θ = 0).

Likes spsch
Oh, thanks. Of course this makes absolute sense. Thank you !

1. What is a pendulum's tension?

A pendulum's tension is the force that is pulling on the string or rod that the pendulum is suspended from. It is responsible for keeping the pendulum in motion and determining the speed and direction of its movement.

2. How is tension related to force reasoning?

Tension is a type of force, specifically a pulling force, that is applied to the pendulum. Force reasoning involves using Newton's laws of motion to understand and analyze the forces acting on an object, including tension.

3. How does Newton's 3rd law apply to a pendulum's tension?

According to Newton's 3rd law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a pendulum, the tension force pulling on the string or rod is equal and opposite to the force of gravity pulling on the pendulum weight. This allows the pendulum to maintain its motion and swing back and forth.

4. Can the tension on a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the tension on a pendulum can be changed by altering the length of the string or rod it is suspended from, or by changing the weight of the pendulum. The longer the string or rod, the greater the tension force will be. The heavier the pendulum weight, the greater the tension force will be.

5. How does tension affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum, or the time it takes for one full swing, is affected by the length of the string or rod and the force of gravity. The tension force also plays a role, as it helps to maintain the pendulum's motion. A higher tension force will result in a shorter period, while a lower tension force will result in a longer period.