People lifting themselves with simple fixed pulley

In summary, the person would need to have a force of 400 Newton to be able to pull the platform up. The acceleration would be a result of this force. A diagram would be helpful in understanding the forces acting on the person and the platform.
REVIANNA
I can't convince myself that the situation in this picture is possible in reality though I know the physics works.
I feel that it won't work as the workers are not glued to the platform
can anyone find a demonstration to verify it .please (I'v searched youtube as much as I could)
people lifting themselves with simple fixed pulley (single person will also do)
problems_MIT_rayyan_Physics801_Figures_Pulley_Platform.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you need glue if there is half the body weight as pressure between the person and the platform?

REVIANNA said:
I can't convince myself that the situation in this picture is possible in reality though I know the physics works.
can anyone find a demonstration to verify it .please (I'v searched youtube as much as I could)
people lifting themselves with simple fixed pulley (single person will also do)
problems_MIT_rayyan_Physics801_Figures_Pulley_Platform.png
There's no need to be glued on the platform. Imagine both persons hold their ropes and suddenly put their knees to the breast. The weight of the persons will lift the platform till both "sit" on it. Afterwards they could grab the rope at a point closer to the ceiling, by alternatley moving one hand above the other and keeping the tension in the rope with fixed hand while standing up (if they are physically strong enough).

REVIANNA said:
What do you mean exactly by "it won't work"? What do you think will happen, if they are not glued to the platform (assuming they are heavier than the platform)?

Since no numbers are provided, in order for it to work, we need to assume the weight of the people is greater than the weight of the platform.

You don't even need a platform for this to work.
You can pull yourself up with a rope thrown over a tree branch. You just make a little loop at one end so you put for foot through it and pull the other end of the rope.
Look up "tree house elevator" to see more sophisticated contraptions, with multiple pulleys.

nasu said:
You can pull yourself up with a rope thrown over a tree branch. You just make a little loop at one end so you put for foot through it and pull the other end of the rope.
Careful, we don't want to the OP to hang her/himself. A small model with a basket and a weight would suffice.

put some numbers into the question. Look at 1 person of mass 70kg (W = 686N) standing on a platform of mass 20kg (weight = 196N)...he pulls with a force of 400N on the rope...can you calculate what is happening? the acceleration? can you draw a diagram showing the forces acting on the person and on the platform and on the rope??

1. How does a simple fixed pulley help people lift themselves?

A simple fixed pulley helps people lift themselves by changing the direction of the force they need to apply. Instead of pulling down on an object, they can pull up on the rope attached to the pulley, which will then lift them up.

2. What is the principle behind a simple fixed pulley?

The principle behind a simple fixed pulley is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object by changing the direction of the force. This is because the weight of the object is distributed between the person pulling down on the rope and the fixed pulley above.

3. Can anyone lift themselves using a simple fixed pulley?

Yes, anyone can lift themselves using a simple fixed pulley as long as the pulley is properly attached and the person has enough strength to pull themselves up.

4. What are the advantages of using a simple fixed pulley for lifting oneself?

The advantages of using a simple fixed pulley for lifting oneself include reducing the amount of force needed, making it easier for people with limited strength to lift themselves, and allowing for a more controlled and stable lift.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a simple fixed pulley for lifting oneself?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the pulley is securely attached and that the rope is in good condition. It is also recommended to have someone else present to assist in case of any accidents or difficulties with the lift.