People shouldn't have opinions or something

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary, this video is a clip of Jay Leno asking people to sign a petition to end womens' suffrage. Some of the people who know what is going on refuse to sign, and the video is used to show that people in that location are stupid.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/suffrage.html

And you see this stuff all the time! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Do people just want to pretend they are apart of something? This has been done with a lot of things. Tricking hippies into signing a ban on water is a big one. So what's with people? Do they ever think? That's what needs to be asked here. Does a majority of human beings on this Earth actually think? Is democracy really the answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Such people shouldn't be allowed to vote
brilliant video though :smile:

And you see this stuff all the time!

Yeah, its called "lobbying".

Such people shouldn't be allowed to vote

Such people are known as "lawmakers".

That was painful. So very, very painful. Why don't the schools teach people how to operate a democratic government? That's what they're there for... right?

What is it? My work filter says it's tasteless and won't let me see it.

"Please sign my petition to end womens' suffrage"

repeat.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I haven't looked yet, but given the responses, it probably is tasteless, and you're probably better off not seeing it. :smile: Your work filter gets a chuckle out of me every time you mention it. That said, I'm now going to have to look and see what it is. :biggrin:

Edit: It seems I can't view it either. It's a windows media player file, and I don't have it installed on this computer. It'll have to wait until I overcome inertia and view it on another computer.

Last edited:
enigma said:
"Please sign my petition to end womens' suffrage"

repeat.
Ah yes, definitely tasteless then...

Moonie said:
Your work filter gets a chuckle out of me every time you mention it.
Well I'm glad that it still makes someone laugh because it just annoys me now. :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
Well I'm glad that it still makes someone laugh because it just annoys me now. :wink:
You need to find someone who knows enough to hack into it and change the messages it gives...preferably to something tasteless to make up for all the other tasteless stuff you're missing out on. :biggrin: (Yeah, I know, if you knew someone who could do that, you'd have them remove it, not just change the messages.)

Moonbear said:
You need to find someone who knows enough to hack into it and change the messages it gives...preferably to something tasteless to make up for all the other tasteless stuff you're missing out on. :biggrin: (Yeah, I know, if you knew someone who could do that, you'd have them remove it, not just change the messages.)
There's nothing bad in the video. MB, you've got to see it.

This guy ges to a Women's College and asks women to sign a petition to "end women's suffrage" and they all sign it, having no clue that it's what gave women the right to vote. :bugeye:

It's the same sort of sensationalist videos that the DHMO people do. Go around, ask people to sign something rediculous. Edit out the people who knew what was going on. Viola... 'proof' that people in _insert locale_ are stupid.

Jay Leno's Jaywalking does the same thing, and so does the video which asked the people "which country should we invade next and can you point to it on a map?"

Heck, I've even seen cretinist propaganda which uses the same ploy.

enigma said:
It's the same sort of sensationalist videos that the DHMO people do. Go around, ask people to sign something rediculous. Edit out the people who knew what was going on. Viola... 'proof' that people in _insert locale_ are stupid.

I don't think they were trying to prove much. I got to say though, i saw one of those DHMO things where they actually got thousands of signatures when the attendance numbered slightly over 10,000. That one was definitely proof of something seeing as someone can only make it so far through a crowd getting the attention of so many people.

enigma said:

Jay Leno's Jaywalking does the same thing, and so does the video which asked the people "which country should we invade next and can you point to it on a map?"

I'm sorry, but if I could find ten women at a women's college willing to sign a petition to end women's suffrage...I don't care how many other people said no, those ten are stupid.

Here sign this petition to recall the governer and elect Arnold Schwarzenegger instead.

Jonny_trigonometry said:
Here sign this petition to recall the governer and elect Arnold Schwarzenegger instead.

except this time it wasn't a show of stupidity :smile: :smile: :smile:

Evo said:
There's nothing bad in the video. MB, you've got to see it.

This guy ges to a Women's College and asks women to sign a petition to "end women's suffrage" and they all sign it, having no clue that it's what gave women the right to vote. :bugeye:
Doesn't have to be bad to be tasteless. :-p

franznietzsche said:
I'm sorry, but if I could find ten women at a women's college willing to sign a petition to end women's suffrage...I don't care how many other people said no, those ten are stupid.

It might alarm you, but 50% of the population is below average intelligence. :-p

enigma said:
It might alarm you, but 50% of the population is below average intelligence. :-p

Yes but almost everyone is a moron in my experience.

enigma said:

not necessarily...

for example, 99+% of people have more than the average number of thumbs

rhj23 said:
not necessarily...

for example, 99+% of people have more than the average number of thumbs
Enigma's "average" is a median, yours is a mean.

enigma said:

Of course it's sensationalistic ... and impossible for the viewer to tell how many girls had to be approached. It's always funny until someone loses an eye.

The video was made by some boys from a Delaware Catholic boy's school. They visited the local Catholic girl's school to do the video. Here's the backlash from the video: http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060403/NEWS/604030341/1006

Pranks like that are totally tasteless. (They're still funny, though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
Enigma's "average" is a median, yours is a mean.

really? thanks so much for clearing that up - i genuinely didn't understand the point he was making..

Related to People shouldn't have opinions or something

What does it mean when people say "People shouldn't have opinions or something"?

When people say "People shouldn't have opinions or something," they are usually expressing frustration or annoyance with someone expressing a strong or controversial opinion without considering other perspectives or evidence. It can also be a sarcastic statement made to mock someone who is dismissive of others' opinions.

Why do some people believe that others shouldn't have opinions?

Some people may believe that others shouldn't have opinions because they feel that certain topics or issues are too complex or important to be reduced to simple opinions. They may also believe that everyone should be open to hearing and considering different perspectives before forming their own opinion.

Is it really possible for people to not have opinions?

No, it is not possible for people to not have opinions. Humans are inherently opinionated creatures and it is natural for us to have thoughts and beliefs about various topics. However, it is important to be open-minded and considerate of others' opinions.

Can having strong opinions be harmful?

Having strong opinions in and of itself is not harmful. However, it can become harmful when those opinions are used to justify discrimination, violence, or close-mindedness towards others. It is important to respect and consider the opinions of others, even if they differ from our own.

How can we encourage healthy and respectful discussions about differing opinions?

We can encourage healthy and respectful discussions about differing opinions by actively listening to others, considering their perspectives, and responding with empathy and respect. It is also important to avoid personal attacks and instead focus on the issue being discussed. Additionally, being open to learning and understanding different viewpoints can lead to more productive and respectful conversations.