How Accurate Are Calculations of Circle Area and Sphere Volume?

In summary: Your name]In summary, for problem 10, the area of a circle with a radius of 3.8 x 10^4 cm is approximately 4.536 x 10^9 cm^2 and the percent uncertainty is 0.0053%.For problem 11, the volume of a sphere with a radius of 2.86 m is approximately 97.99 m^3 and the volume with a radius of 2.77 m is approximately 89.03 m^3. The difference in volumes is 8.96 m^3 and the percent uncertainty is 9%. Both solutions are correct.
iRaid
I have 2 problems that I'm wondering if they're right or not... Thanks for the help.

Homework Statement

10) What is the area, and its approximate uncertainty, of a circle of radius 3.8 x 104cm?

Homework Equations

A=πr2

The Attempt at a Solution

A=π380002
A=4536459792cm2
Then, I did the same thing with 37999 (the uncertainty is [tex]\pm[/tex] 1) to find the difference in the area to be 238758.
[tex]238758/4536459792[/tex] x 100% = .0053% uncertainty.

Homework Statement

11) What, roughly, is the percent uncertainty in the volume of a spherical beach ball whose radius is r=2.86[tex]\pm[/tex]0.09m?

Homework Equations

A=[tex]4/3[/tex]πr3

The Attempt at a Solution

A=[tex]4/3[/tex]π2.863
A=97.99m3
I then did the same thing with 2.77 to get that area to be 89.03m3.
97.99-89.03=8.96
[tex]8.96/97.99[/tex]x100%=9% uncertainty.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problems. I'm happy to assist you!

For problem 10, your solution looks correct. The area of a circle with a radius of 3.8 x 10^4 cm is approximately 4.536 x 10^9 cm^2. And your calculation for the percent uncertainty is also correct.

For problem 11, your solution is also correct. The volume of a sphere with a radius of 2.86 m is approximately 97.99 m^3 and the volume with a radius of 2.77 m is approximately 89.03 m^3. The difference in volumes is 8.96 m^3 and the percent uncertainty is 9%.

Great job on both problems! Keep up the good work. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

What is percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the amount of uncertainty or error present in a measurement. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

How is percent uncertainty calculated?

Percent uncertainty is calculated by taking the absolute value of the uncertainty in the measurement and dividing it by the measured value. This result is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage.

Why is percent uncertainty important in scientific measurements?

Percent uncertainty helps indicate the reliability and accuracy of a measurement. Higher percent uncertainty means there is more potential for error in the measurement, while lower percent uncertainty indicates a more precise and reliable measurement.

What factors can contribute to percent uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to percent uncertainty, including limitations of the measuring instrument, human error in taking the measurement, and natural variation in the quantity being measured.

How can percent uncertainty be reduced?

Percent uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average, and minimizing sources of error and variation in the measurement process.