Percentage Change Logic Question

In summary, the conversation discussed different percentage changes in rental fees with discounts. It was noted that while the discount decreased by 15%, the percentage increase in what was being paid was 27%. This is because the relative change is usually measured relative to the earlier value, and the amounts paid were different in each scenario. The relationship between the discount and the percentage increase was also explored using mathematical equations.
BossChloe
Question regarding different percentage changes.

If I have a monthly rental fee of \$100 in July with a discount of 60%. I will pay \$40.

In the month of August the monthly rental fee is \$100 with a discount of 45%. I will pay \$55.

My discount has decreased by %15.

However my percentage increase of what I am paying is 27%. (\$55-\$40)/\$55 = 27%.

I don't quite understand how the percentage increase is 27% and not simply 15%. Could someone explain the logic?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's because you are comparing 15 to 2 different numbers. 15 is 15% of 100, however 15 is roughly 27% of 55. :)

First, let's recall some definitions. If a value equals $x_1$ at some point and $x_2$ at a later point, the actual change, denoted by $\Delta x$, is $x_2-x_1$. The relative change, which is often measured in percents and which I'll denote by $\delta x$, is $\dfrac{x_2-x_1}{x_1}=\dfrac{x_2}{x_1}-1$.

BossChloe said:
My discount has decreased by %15.
This phrase is ambiguous due to the fact that discount itself is measured in percents. Let $d_1=0.6$ and $d_2=0.45$; then indeed $\Delta d=-0.15$, but $\delta d=-0.25$.

BossChloe said:
However my percentage increase of what I am paying is 27%. (\$55-\$40)/\$55 = 27%.
As written above, the relative change is usually measured relative to the earlier value, so if the amounts payed are $p_1=40$ and $p_2=55$, then $\Delta p=15$ and $\delta p=0.375$.

BossChloe said:
I don't quite understand how the percentage increase is 27% and not simply 15%.
I don't think that $\delta p$ should equal $\delta d$. Let $t=100$ be the total rent. Then $p_i=t(1-d_i)$ for $i=1,2$. Therefore
\[
\Delta p=p_2-p_1=t(d_1-d_2)=t\Delta d
\]
but
\[
\delta p=\frac{p_2}{p_1}-1=\frac{1-d_2}{1-d_1}-1=\frac{d_1-d_2}{1-d_1}=\frac{\Delta d}{d_1-1}=\frac{\frac{d_2}{d_1}-1}{1-\frac{1}{d_1}}=\frac{\delta d}{1-\frac{1}{d_1}}.
\]

What is a percentage change logic question?

A percentage change logic question is a type of math problem that involves calculating the change in a quantity, expressed as a percentage. These questions typically involve a starting value, an ending value, and a specified change in the quantity.

How do I solve a percentage change logic question?

To solve a percentage change logic question, you will need to follow a few steps. First, determine the starting value and the ending value. Then, calculate the difference between the two values. Next, divide the difference by the starting value. Finally, multiply the result by 100 to get the percentage change.

What are some real-world applications of percentage change logic questions?

Percentage change logic questions are commonly used in economics and finance to analyze changes in prices, incomes, and other economic indicators. They are also used in science and medicine to track changes in data over time.

How can I use percentage change logic to make predictions?

By analyzing percentage changes over time, you can make predictions about future trends. For example, if you notice a consistent increase in a certain economic indicator, you can predict that it will continue to increase in the future.

What are some common mistakes people make when solving percentage change logic questions?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert the decimal form of the percentage change into a percentage. Another mistake is using the wrong starting or ending values. It's important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it.