Percentage problem - which is probably really simple

• MHB
  • Thread starter tubbyfej
  • Start date
In summary, Fi's problem is confusing herself as to when it is appropriate to use the methods of reducing a number by a percentage (Method A) or dividing (or multiplying) the number by 1.xx to reduce (or add on) the percentage amount (Method B).
tubbyfej
Hi,

I just need to say in advance that I know my problem is probably quite simple but for some reason I have completely confused myself with this and now I need someone to explain the logic behind it as it's driving me insane and I can't continue on with my work until I have the answer:

I'm trying to calculate the balance on an account - I work in accounts - and I am inputting the VAT value - which is 20% of the gross figure.

Gross total: £110.35
VAT: 18.35
Net: 91.96 (round to 2.dp)

The percentage problem:

To calculate the net figure I need to remove 20% of VAT from the gross total.

Usually I would divide by 1.2:

110.35 / 1.2 = 91.958333 which rounded up = 91.96

The confusion:

As I understand it when I divide the gross figure by whole number of 1 with decimal of 0.20 (1.2) this removes 20% from the figure of 110.35

What I don’t understand is when I try to remove 20% by multiplying 110.35 by 0.2 and the subtracting this from gross figure I get a completely different Net value.

i.e.

I Calculate 20% of 110.35

20/100 x 110.35 = 22.07 Then subtract this from 110:35

110.35 - 22.07 = 88.28

Why does dividing by 1.2 give a completely different answer to simply working out the percentage of the gross number and subtracting that from it.

From my understanding on both occasions I am removing 20% of the number.

But the methods give completely different answers.

Sorry if this is long winded but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Fi

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tubbyfej said:
Hi,

I just need to say in advance that I know my problem is probably quite simple but for some reason I have completely confused myself with this and now I need someone to explain the logic behind it as it's driving me insane and I can't continue on with my work until I have the answer:

I'm trying to calculate the balance on an account - I work in accounts - and I am inputting the VAT value - which is 20% of the gross figure.

Gross total: £110.35
VAT: 18.35
Net: 91.96 (round to 2.dp)

The percentage problem:

To calculate the net figure I need to remove 20% of VAT from the gross total.

Usually I would divide by 1.2:

110.35 / 1.2 = 91.958333 which rounded up = 91.96

The confusion:

As I understand it when I divide the gross figure by whole number of 1 with decimal of 0.20 (1.2) this removes 20% from the figure of 110.35

What I don’t understand is when I try to remove 20% by multiplying 110.35 by 0.2 and the subtracting this from gross figure I get a completely different Net value.

i.e.

I Calculate 20% of 110.35

20/100 x 110.35 = 22.07 Then subtract this from 110:35

110.35 - 22.07 = 88.28

Why does dividing by 1.2 give a completely different answer to simply working out the percentage of the gross number and subtracting that from it.

From my understanding on both occasions I am removing 20% of the number.

But the methods give completely different answers.

Sorry if this is long winded but any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Fi

subtraction 20% is same as finding 80% of the same or multiplying by .80

deviding by 1.2 is not same as \finding 80% you get 100/1.2 = 83.3 %

hence there is discripency

Hi kaliprasad,

Thanks for the response! But I am still confused!

When excluding VAT i.e reducing by 20% - it is common practice to divide by 1.2 - please see UK Government website:

https://www.gov.uk/vat-businesses/inclusive-exclusive-prices

If this method actually give 83.3% of the gross figure and not the 80% as you would expect, then why is it used?

I should also mention that I am using VAT as an example but I have seen this approach of reducing a number by a percentage by dividing it using the (1.xx) approach.

I am confused as to when it appropriate to use which method.

Method A:
Calculate the percentage of the number - then subtract from the number - (this seems the most logical to me)

Method B:
Divide (or multiply) the number by 1.xx to Reduce (or add on) the percentage amount.

You've explained why there is a discrepancy but I just want to know why the two different methods are used for effectively adding or subtracting a percentage.

And how do you know when to apply which method?

Thanks

What is a percentage?

A percentage is a number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100. It is often used to represent parts of a whole or to compare two quantities.

How do you calculate a percentage?

To calculate a percentage, divide the part by the whole and multiply by 100. For example, if you want to find what percentage 25 is of 100, you would divide 25 by 100 and multiply by 100, giving you 25%.

What is the difference between percentage and percent?

Percentage and percent are two different ways of expressing the same concept. Percentage is the numerical value, while percent is the symbol used to represent it. For example, 50 percentage is written as 50%.

How do you find the percentage change between two numbers?

To find the percentage change, subtract the original number from the new number and divide by the original number. Then, multiply by 100 to get the percentage change. For example, if the original number is 50 and the new number is 75, the percentage change would be (75-50)/50 * 100 = 50% increase.

What is a common mistake when working with percentages?

A common mistake when working with percentages is forgetting to convert the percentage back to its decimal form when using it in calculations. For example, 50% should be written as 0.50 in decimal form. Another common mistake is forgetting to include the percent symbol in the final answer.