Perform RK4 between 2 Clusters in Magnetic Field

In summary, the code performs RK4 integration between two clusters of charged particles in a magnetic field, with the initial conditions being the positions and velocities of the clusters. However, the integration is not behaving as desired and the code is not able to perform the integration between the two clusters. The code also fills a histogram with the calculated positions.
harryharns
TL;DR Summary
I have a simulated data of charged particles in a magnetic field. I have selected clusters, each cluster contains a set of points(x,z) and I want to perform RK4 between the first and second clusters and fill the positions in a histogram.
I have a simulated data of charged particles in a magnetic field. I have selected clusters, each cluster contains a set of points(x,z) and I want to perform RK4 between the first and second clusters and fill the positions in a histogram.

I have selected the clusters with the initial conditions(positions and velocity). but the thing is I have performed the rk4 but it is not behaving like I want and I am not able to perform the rk4 between the two clusters. Here is my code:
C++:
 firstCluster = hitClusterArray->at(0);
    secondCluster = hitClusterArray->at(1);
    firstPosition = firstCluster.GetPosition();
    secondPosition = secondCluster.GetPosition();

Double_t iniPx, iniPy, iniPz;
    Double_t iniVx1, iniVy1, iniVz1;

Double_t secPosX,secPosY,secPosZ;
    Double_t iniPosX,iniPosY,iniPosZ;

secPosX = secondPosition.X();
    secPosY = secondPosition.Y();
    secPosZ = secondPosition.Z();
    iniPosX = firstPosition.X();
    iniPosY = firstPosition.Y();
    iniPosZ = firstPosition.Z();

phi = TMath::ATan2(secPosY- iniPosY, secPosX - iniPosX);
    Double_t phiDeg;
    if (phi < 0){
    phiDeg = 360+ phi*TMath::RadToDeg();
    }  else {
    phiDeg = phi*TMath::RadToDeg();
    }

iniPx = p * TMath::Cos(phiDeg*TMath::DegToRad()) * TMath::Sin(theta);        // in MeV/c
    iniPy = p * TMath::Sin(phiDeg*TMath::DegToRad()) * TMath::Sin(theta);              // in MeV/c
    iniPz = p * TMath::Cos(theta);                                              // in MeV/c    iniVx1 = (iniPx * 5.344286e-22)/m; //meter per second [m/s]
    iniVy1 = (iniPy * 5.344286e-22)/m;
    iniVz1 = (iniPz * 5.344286e-22)/m;
    int clusterCount = 0;
    for (auto iCluster = 0; iCluster < hitClusterArray->size(); ++iCluster) {
    auto cluster = hitClusterArray->at(iCluster);
    auto pos = cluster.GetPosition();

Double_t clusterPosX = pos.X();
    Double_t clusterPosY = pos.Y();
    Double_t clusterPosZ = pos.Z();

//std::cout<<iniPosX << " " << iniPosY << " "<< iniPosZ <<endl << endl;
    for (pp =  0; pp< 100; pp++){

l1x[pp] = fx(t1,iniPx1);
    l1y[pp] = fy(t1,iniPy1);
    l1z[pp] = fz(t1,iniPz1);

l1vx[pp] = dxdt(t1,iniPx1,iniPy1,iniPz1);
    l1vy[pp] = dydt(t1,iniPx1,iniPy1,iniPz1);
    l1vz[pp] = dzdt(t1,iniPx1,iniPy1,iniPz1);

l2x[pp] = fx(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+0.5*h*l1x[pp]);
    l2y[pp] = fy(t1+h*0.5,iniPy1+0.5*h*l1y[pp]);
    l2z[pp] = fz(t1+h*0.5,iniPz1+0.5*h*l1z[pp]);

l2vx[pp] =dxdt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l1vx[pp]*0.5*h,iniPy1+l1vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l1vz[pp]*h*0.5);
    l2vy[pp] =dydt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l1vx[pp]*h*0.5,iniPy1+l1vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l1vz[pp]*h*0.5);
    l2vz[pp] =dzdt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l1vx[pp]*h*0.5,iniPy1+l1vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l1vz[pp]*h*0.5);

l3x[pp] = fx(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+0.5*h*l2x[pp]);
       l3y[pp] = fy(t1+h*0.5,iniPy1+0.5*h*l2y[pp]);
       l3z[pp] = fz(t1+h*0.5,iniPz1+0.5*h*l2z[pp]);
       l3vx[pp] =dxdt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l2vx[pp]*0.5*h,iniPy1+l2vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l2vz[pp]*h*0.5);
       l3vy[pp] =dydt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l2vx[pp]*h*0.5,iniPy1+l2vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l2vz[pp]*h*0.5);
       l3vz[pp] =dzdt(t1+h*0.5,iniPx1+l2vx[pp]*h*0.5,iniPy1+l2vy[pp]*h*0.5,iniPz1+l2vz[pp]*h*0.5);

l4x[pp] = fx(t1+h,iniPx1+l3x[pp]*h);
       l4y[pp] = fy(t1+h,iniPy1+l3y[pp]*h);
       l4z[pp] = fz(t1+h,iniPz1+l3z[pp]*h);

l4vx[pp] = dxdt(t1+h,iniPx1+l3vx[pp]*h,iniPy1+l3vy[pp]*h,iniPz1+l3vz[pp]*h);
       l4vy[pp] = dydt(t1+h,iniPx1+l3vx[pp]*h,iniPy1+l3vy[pp]*h,iniPz1+l3vz[pp]*h);
       l4vz[pp] = dzdt(t1+h,iniPx1+l3vx[pp]*h,iniPy1+l3vy[pp]*h,iniPz1+l3vz[pp]*h);      iniPx1 = iniPx1 + h/6 *( l1vx[pp] + 2*l2vx[pp] + 2*l3vx[pp] + l4vx[pp]);
      iniPy1  = iniPy1 + h/6 *(l1vy[pp] + 2*l2vy[pp] + 2*l3vy[pp] + l4vy[pp]);
      iniPz1  = iniPz1 + h/6 *(l1vz[pp] + 2*l2vz[pp] + 2*l3vz[pp] + l4vz[pp]);

iniPosX = iniPosX + h/6 *( l1x[pp]  + 2*l2x[pp] + 2*l3x[pp] + l4x[pp]);
      iniPosY  = iniPosY + h/6 *( l1y[pp] + 2*l2y[pp] + 2*l3y[pp] + l4y[pp]);
      iniPosZ  = iniPosZ + h/6 *( l1z[pp] + 2*l2z[pp] + 2*l3z[pp] + l4z[pp]);

kx_vs_ky->Fill(iniPosX, iniPosY);

}

//Update the initial conditions for the next cluster
         iniPosX = clusterPosX;
         iniPosY = clusterPosY;
         iniPosZ = clusterPosZ;

++clusterCount;
       if (clusterCount > 2) {
           break; // stop iterating over clusters after the second one
           }
    }
<Moderator's note: Please use code tags when posting code>

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
What language are you using? It looks like a language derived from C, but I can't tell beyond that.

I am using c++

harryharns said:
but the thing is I have performed the rk4 but it is not behaving like I want and I am not able to perform the rk4 between the two clusters.
For useful advice from us you need to provide more detail on what "not behaving like I want" means.

Also, there are several function calls (?) to functions that aren't shown in your code: dxdt(), fx(), fy(), fz(). I assume these are function calls. If they aren't coded correctly, that will affect the code you've shown.

Are you using a debugger? If not, why not? Can you hand-simulate a simple data set to do some calculations, and compare your results to what your program produces?

In addition, there are a whole bunch of what seem like arrays that don't have declarations.

I have the functions declared from the equation of motions. No I am not using a debugger as I am new to c++ and I do not know what a debugger is. can you advice me on the best debugger to use? and all the arrays are declared I didnt show the whole code as it is long. I have used a simple calculation for the rk4 but not simulated data. the problem is that between cluster 1 and cluster 2 there should be the rk4 points.

harryharns said:
No I am not using a debugger as I am new to c++ and I do not know what a debugger is. can you advice me on the best debugger to use?
A debugger is software that lets you insert breakpoints in your code to allow you to single-step through it. Most debuggers have a lot of features besides this, including inspecting variables, looking at memory, and many other options. Most C++ compilers come with a set of tools, such as a debugger, profiler, and other software.

Before I can advise you on which debugger to use, I need to know which compiler are you using?

I am using the root for it

harryharns said:
I want to perform RK4 between the first and second clusters and fill the positions in a histogram.
I can't make any sense of this. Could you please elaborate on what you want to solve?

this is what I want to solve. In the image, the cubes (circled in green)are the clusters with positions (x,y,z). I want to calculate the small points between cluster 1 and cluster 2 using the rk4 method.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 12.04.39 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 12.04.39 PM.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 66
harryharns said:
this is what I want to solve. In the image, the cubes (circled in green)are the clusters with positions (x,y,z). I want to calculate the small points between cluster 1 and cluster 2 using the rk4 method.
I'm sorry, but this is not helpful at all. What differential equations are you solving?

Charge particles in magnetic and electric field. this is the functions.
C++:
Double_t  dxdt(double t,double vx, double vy, Double_t vz){

Double_t Energy = GetEnergy(vx, vy, vz);
        Double_t st = StoppingPower(Energy);
        Double_t Ex,Ey,Ez,f1;                   //Electric field in V/m. 
        Double_t Bx,By,Bz;              // magnetic field in Tesla
        Double_t rr,az,po;
        Double_t q = 1.6022*TMath::Power(10,-19);       //charge of the particle(proton) in (C)
        Double_t m = 1.6726*TMath::Power(10,-27);       // mass of the particle in kg
        Double_t B= -3.0;                 // Applied magnetic field (T).
        Double_t E=TMath::Cos((q*B)/m) * 500;   // Applied Electric field(V/m).
        Bx = 0;
        By = 0;                 // magnetic field in x and y  direction in Tesla.
        Bz = B;          // magnetic field in the z direction in Tesla.
        Ex = 0;
        Ey = 0;                 // Electric field in the x and  direction in V/m.
        Ez = -E;                        // Electric field in the z direction.         rr = TMath::Sqrt(TMath::Power(vx,2)+TMath::Power(vy,2)+TMath::Power(vz,2));
        az = TMath::ATan2(vy,vx);
        po = TMath::ACos(vz/rr);

f1 =  q/m * (Ex + vy*Bz-vz*By) - st*TMath::Sin(po)*TMath::Cos(az); //-s*TMath::Sin(po)*TMath::Cos(az) ;                                    //dxdt with energyloss compensation.

double bro = Bz * rr / TMath::Sin(po)/ 1000.0;
//cout<<Energy<<endl;
//cout<<bro<<endl;
        //std::cout<<Ex <<" "<< vy<<" "<<vz << " " <<By<< " "<< f1<<std::endl; 
        return f1;

}

double  dydt(double t,double vx, double vy, Double_t vz){
        Double_t Ex,Ey,Ez,f2;              //Electric field in V/m. 
        Double_t q = 1.6022*TMath::Power(10,-19);   //charge of the particle in C
        Double_t B= -3.0;                 // Applied magnetic field.
        Double_t rr,az,po;
        Double_t m = 1.6726*TMath::Power(10,-27);  // mass of the particle in kg
        Double_t E = TMath::Cos((q*B)/m) * 500 ;
        Bx = 0;                      // magnetic field in x and y  direction in Tesla.
        By = 0;
        Ex = 0;                      // Electric field in the x and  direction in V/m.
        Ey = 0;
        Ez = -E;                        // Electric field in the z direction.

rr = TMath::Sqrt(TMath::Power(vx,2)+TMath::Power(vy,2)+TMath::Power(vz,2));
        az = TMath::ATan(vy/vx);
        po = TMath::ACos(vz/rr);       f2 =  q/m * (Ey + vz*Bx - vx*Bz) - st*TMath::Sin(po)*TMath::Sin(az); 

//cout<<bro<<endl;
//cout<<Energy<<endl;
        //std::cout<<f2<<std::endl;
        return f2;
        }

double  dzdt(double t,double vx, double vy,Double_t vz){
        Double_t Ex,Ey,Ez,f3;              //Electric field in V/m. 
        Double_t q = 1.6022*pow(10,-19);   //charge of the particle in eV
        Double_t B= -3.0;                 // Applied magnetic field.
        Double_t rr,az,po;
        Double_t m = 1.6726*TMath::Power(10,-27);  // mass of the particle in kg
        Double_t E = TMath::Cos((q*B)/m) * 500 ; 
        Bx = 0;                      // magnetic field in x and y  direction in Tesla.
        By = 0;
        Ex = 0;                      // Electric field in the x and  direction in V/m. 
        Ey = 0;
        Ez = -E;                        // Electric field in the z direction.

rr = TMath::Sqrt(TMath::Power(vx,2)+TMath::Power(vy,2)+TMath::Power(vz,2));
        az = TMath::ATan(vy/vx);
        //std::cout<<az<<endl;
        po = TMath::ACos(vz/rr);        f3 =  q/m * (Ez + vx*By - vy*Bx)- st*TMath::Cos(po);
//cout<<bro<<endl;
//cout<<Energy<<endl<<endl;
        //std::cout <<r<< " " << TMath::Power(vy,2) + TMath::Power(vx,2) + TMath::Power(vz,2)<< " " << TMath::Power(vz,2) <<  std::endl; 
        return f3;
        }

//  Functions for positions.

Double_t fx(Double_t t, Double_t vx){       Double_t f1x =  vx;
        return f1x;        }

Double_t fy(Double_t t,Double_t vy){        Double_t f2y = vy;
        return f2y;        }
Double_t fz(Double_t t,Double_t vz){

Double_t f3z =  vz;
        return f3z;

}

Last edited by a moderator:
harryharns said:
I am using the root for it
I don't know what this means in the context of C++ compilers. Are you possibly using gcc? I believe that's the compiler that comes with Linux distributions.

ROOT is a C++ based framework widely used in particle physics. It comes with a C++ interpreter.

There is a lot of weird stuff in the code that makes understanding it more difficult.
Code:
Double_t fx(Double_t t, Double_t vx){
       Double_t f1x =  vx;
        return f1x;
        }
This function does nothing besides returning its second parameter.
The comment is "Functions for positions." but it accepts a parameter vz, which would naturally be the name for a velocity. Equivalently for y and z.

Where is theta calculated? The code uses it.

dxdt, dydt, dzdt have a lot of redundant code and could be combined to a single function.

1. What is RK4 and how does it work?

RK4, also known as the Runge-Kutta method, is a numerical method used to solve ordinary differential equations. It works by approximating the solution at different points in a given interval and using these approximations to calculate the final solution.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the RK4 algorithm?

A magnetic field affects the RK4 algorithm by introducing an additional force term in the differential equation. This force term is then incorporated into the RK4 calculations, resulting in a more accurate approximation of the solution.

3. Can RK4 be used to model the movement of particles between two clusters in a magnetic field?

Yes, RK4 can be used to model the movement of particles between two clusters in a magnetic field. This can be done by treating each cluster as a single point and including the magnetic field force term in the RK4 calculations.

4. How accurate is RK4 for modeling particle movement in a magnetic field?

RK4 is a commonly used method for numerical integration and is considered to be quite accurate for modeling particle movement in a magnetic field. However, its accuracy may depend on the specific parameters and conditions of the problem being solved.

5. Are there any limitations to using RK4 for modeling in a magnetic field?

One limitation of using RK4 for modeling in a magnetic field is that it assumes a constant magnetic field strength and direction. In reality, magnetic fields can vary and this may affect the accuracy of the model. Additionally, RK4 may not be suitable for highly complex systems with non-linear differential equations.

Back