Period for SHM of a block on a spring shot by a bullet

In summary, the problem involves a rifle bullet with a mass of 8.12g and initial velocity of 250m/s striking a block with a mass of 0.992kg attached to one end of an ideal spring. The impact compresses the spring a maximum distance of 18.0cm and the block then moves in simple harmonic motion. The goal is to calculate the period of this motion using conservation of momentum and energy equations. The solution involves using the formula for period, kinetic energy, potential energy, and momentum, but the key mistake was using an incorrect mass for the block.
ggorrilla
So I've been working on this problem for a while and can't seem to come up with anything and I don't really understand why I'm wrong in what I did. I could just get the answer online, but I actually want to understand what's happening.

Homework Statement

A rifle bullet with mass 8.12g and initial horizontal velocity 250m/s strikes and embeds itself in a block with mass 0.992kg that rests on a frictionless surface and is attached to one end of an ideal spring. The other end of the spring is attached to the wall. The impact compresses the spring a maximum distance of 18.0cm. After the impact, the block moves in SHM. Calculate the period of this motion.

Homework Equations

(Period) T = 2pi*sqrt(m/k)
(Kinetic Energy) K = .5*m*v^2
(Potential Energy) U(spring) = .5*k*x^2
(Momentum) P = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll use m for the mass of the bullet and M for the mass of the block.

So first I used conservation of momentum to assume that m*v(bullet) = (M+m)(v(final)).
Plugging in I got (.00812kg)(250m/s) = (.922kg+.00812kg)*v(final)
v(final) = 2.182514m/s

So then I assumed that the energy that the system has right after the bullet makes contact is fully kinetic, since in SHM all of the energy is kinetic when at the origin. I think I'm right in assuming this, but maybe that's where I went wrong. But anyways, continuing with what I took as the assumption, I then used the formula for kinetic energy.
K = .5*(M+m)(v(final))^2 So,
K = .5*(.922kg+.00812kg)*(2.182514m/s)^2 = 2.214492J

So then I went and assumed that all energy would be potential when the spring is fully compressed.

U = .5*k*x^2
2.214492J = .5*k*(.18m)^2
k = 136.697066N/m

So then I simply plugged the k into the formula for period and got:
T = 2*pi*sqrt((M+m)/k)
T = 2*pi*sqrt((.922kg+.00812kg)/136.697066N/m)
T = .518286s

Apparently this solution is wrong though, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out so that I could better understand this stuff. : /

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ggorrilla said:
So I've been working on this problem for a while and can't seem to come up with anything and I don't really understand why I'm wrong in what I did. I could just get the answer online, but I actually want to understand what's happening.

Homework Statement

A rifle bullet with mass 8.12g and initial horizontal velocity 250m/s strikes and embeds itself in a block with mass 0.992kg that rests on a frictionless surface and is attached to one end of an ideal spring. The other end of the spring is attached to the wall. The impact compresses the spring a maximum distance of 18.0cm. After the impact, the block moves in SHM. Calculate the period of this motion.

Homework Equations

(Period) T = 2pi*sqrt(m/k)
(Kinetic Energy) K = .5*m*v^2
(Potential Energy) U(spring) = .5*k*x^2
(Momentum) P = mv

So first I used conservation of momentum to assume that m*v(bullet) = (M+m)(v(final)).
v(final) = 2.182514m/s

So then I assumed that the energy that the system has right after the bullet makes contact is fully kinetic, since in SHM all of the energy is kinetic when at the origin. I think I'm right in assuming this, but maybe that's where I went wrong. But anyways, continuing with what I took as the assumption, I then used the formula for kinetic energy.
K = .5*(M+m)(v(final))^2 So,
K = .5*(.922kg+.00812kg)*(2.182514m/s)^2 = 2.214492J

So then I went and assumed that all energy would be potential when the spring is fully compressed.

U = .5*k*x^2
2.214492J = .5*k*(.18m)^2
k = 136.697066N/m

So then I simply plugged the k into the formula for period and got:
T = 2*pi*sqrt((M+m)/k)
T = 2*pi*sqrt((.922kg+.00812kg)/136.697066N/m)
T = .518286s

Apparently this solution is wrong though, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out so that I could better understand this stuff. : /

I would certainly go about this problem the same way you have - so I would suggest re-checking your calculations in case there is a slip somewhere.

ggorrilla said:

Homework Statement

A rifle bullet with mass 8.12g and initial horizontal velocity 250m/s strikes and embeds itself in a block with mass 0.992kg ...

/

Is the mass of the block 0.992 kg or 0.922 kg?

ehild

AAHHH! I can't believe that I didn't catch that, I reworked the entire problem for hours and couldn't find a way to get .557s, which was apparently the answer, but that was my mistake every single time. The correct mass is .992kg, I feel like such an idiot, thank you so much for the help!

ggorrilla said:
AAHHH! I can't believe that I didn't catch that,

Such things happen with everybody...:smile:

ehild

Related to Period for SHM of a block on a spring shot by a bullet

1. What is SHM and how does it relate to a block on a spring?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. In the case of a block on a spring, the block will oscillate back and forth due to the force of the spring pulling it towards the equilibrium position.

2. How does a bullet affect the SHM of a block on a spring?

The bullet adds an external force to the block, causing it to deviate from its original SHM pattern. This is due to the sudden and non-periodic nature of the bullet's impact, which disrupts the equilibrium of the system.

3. What factors affect the period of SHM for a block on a spring shot by a bullet?

The period of SHM for a block on a spring shot by a bullet depends on the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring, the velocity and mass of the bullet, and the angle at which the bullet hits the block. These variables can all alter the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations.

4. Can the period of SHM be calculated for a block on a spring shot by a bullet?

Yes, the period for SHM of a block on a spring shot by a bullet can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant. However, this equation does not account for the impact of the bullet, so the resulting period may not be entirely accurate.

5. How can understanding the SHM of a block on a spring shot by a bullet be useful?

Studying this system can provide insights into the effects of external forces on simple harmonic motion and how they can alter the period and amplitude of the oscillations. It can also be useful in understanding the principles of conservation of energy and momentum in a dynamic system.