Period of spring-mass system and a pendulum inside a lift

In summary, based on the given formulas, variables ##m, k, L, g## do not change and the answer is (a) but it is not correct. However, when the lift accelerates upward, the apparent weight increases and the apparent g also increases. This has the same effect on the pendulum, decreasing its period.
songoku
Homework Statement
Two systems, mass - spring system and simple pendulum is put inside a lift. When the lift is at rest , the period of the mass - spring system is ##T_s## and period of simple pendulum is ##T_p##. When the lift moves upward with constant acceleration, then
(a) Both periods stay the same
(b) Both periods increase
(c) Both periods decrease
(d) ##T_p## stays the same but ##T_s## decreases
(e) ##T_p## changes but ##T_s## stays the same
Relevant Equations
##T= 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}##

##T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}##
Based on the formulas, variable ##m , k, L,g## do not change so my answer is (a) but it is not correct.

Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
##T= 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{g}}##

##T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}##

Based on the formulas, variable ##m , k, L,g## do not change so my answer is (a) but it is not correct.
What happens to your apparent weight when the lift you are in is accelerating upward?

Likes songoku
jbriggs444 said:
What happens to your apparent weight when the lift you are in is accelerating upward?
My apparent weight will increase

songoku said:
My apparent weight will increase
What does that mean for apparent g?

Likes songoku
jbriggs444 said:
What does that mean for apparent g?
I am not sure

$$N - W=ma$$
$$N=m(a+g)$$

Is apparent g = a + g? So the apparent g will increase?

If yes, is it the same for the pendulum? The apparent g will increase so the period will decrease, becoming:
$$T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{a+g}}$$

Thanks

songoku said:
I am not sure

$$N - W=ma$$
$$N=m(a+g)$$

Is apparent g = a + g? So the apparent g will increase?

If yes, is it the same for the pendulum? The apparent g will increase so the period will decrease, becoming:
$$T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{L}{a+g}}$$
Yes.

If you are in a lift accelerating upward and do not look out the window, the situation is indistinguishable from an increase in gravity. As you have correctly calculated, the result is a decrease in the pendulum's period.

Likes Lnewqban, PeroK and songoku
Thank you very much jbriggs444

1. What is the period of a spring-mass system?

The period of a spring-mass system is the time it takes for the system to complete one full cycle of oscillation. It is affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring and the stiffness of the spring itself.

2. How does the period of a spring-mass system change inside a lift?

The period of a spring-mass system inside a lift will change depending on the direction and acceleration of the lift. If the lift is accelerating upwards, the period will increase, and if the lift is accelerating downwards, the period will decrease.

3. What is the period of a pendulum inside a lift?

The period of a pendulum inside a lift is affected by the same factors as a spring-mass system, but it also depends on the length of the pendulum. The longer the pendulum, the longer the period.

4. How does the period of a pendulum change inside a lift?

The period of a pendulum inside a lift will also change depending on the direction and acceleration of the lift. If the lift is accelerating upwards, the period will increase, and if the lift is accelerating downwards, the period will decrease. However, the change in period for a pendulum is less significant compared to a spring-mass system.

5. Can the period of a spring-mass system or a pendulum inside a lift be calculated?

Yes, the period of a spring-mass system and a pendulum inside a lift can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the relevant factors such as mass, spring stiffness, and acceleration of the lift. These equations can be found in physics textbooks or online resources.