Perturbative Renormalization in Phi 4 Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the renormalization of the Lagrangian at 1-loop order and finding the amplitude of a specific term to order λ. The use of dimensional regularization and the counter-term at this order are also mentioned, along with a mistake in the counter-term. A related thread on the same issue is also referenced.
Diracobama2181
TL;DR Summary
I seem to have a misunderstanding as to how counterterms actually get rid of the divergences in amplitudes.
For example, after the Lagrangian is renormalized at 1-loop order, it is of the form
$$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}\partial^{\mu}\Phi\partial_{\mu}\Phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\Phi^2-\frac{\lambda\Phi^4}{4!}-\frac{1}{2}\delta_m^2\Phi^2-\frac{\delta_{\lambda}\Phi^4}{4!}$$.

So if I were to attempt to find the amplitude of $$\bra{p'}(\Phi(x_1)\Phi(x_2))\ket{p}$$ to order $\lambda$, I would get

$$\bra{p'}\Phi(x_1)\Phi(x_2)\ket{p}=\bra{\Omega}a_{p'}\Phi(x)\Phi(x) a_{p}^{\dagger}e^{i\int d^4y (\lambda+\delta_{\lambda})}\ket{\Omega}\\=(e^{i(p'\cdot x_1-p\cdot x_2)}+e^{i(p'\cdot x_2-p\cdot x_1)}-i(\lambda+\delta_{\lambda})\int e^{i(p'-p)\cdot x}\int\frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{ie^{-ik\cdot (x_1-x)}}{k^2-m^2+i\epsilon}\int\frac{d^4q}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{ie^{-iq \cdot (x_2-x)}}{q^2-m^2+i\epsilon}d^4x)$$
From here, I would dimensionally regularize
and use $$\delta_{\lambda}=\frac{3\lambda^2}{32\pi^2}(\frac{2}{\epsilon}-\gamma+\log{4\pi})$$, which is at order $\lamba^2$, so it dosent cancel out the divergence of this integral. What is it about renormalization that I'm misunderstanding?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory?

Perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory is a mathematical technique used to remove divergences in a quantum field theory known as the Phi 4 theory. It involves systematically calculating and subtracting infinite quantities to obtain finite and physically meaningful results.

2. Why is perturbative renormalization necessary in Phi 4 theory?

Perturbative renormalization is necessary in Phi 4 theory because the theory contains divergences that arise from the interaction between particles. These divergences make the theory mathematically inconsistent and physically meaningless. By using perturbative renormalization, we can remove these divergences and obtain meaningful results.

3. How does perturbative renormalization work?

Perturbative renormalization works by using a series of mathematical operations, such as integrals and subtractions, to remove the divergences in the theory. This is done in a systematic way, starting with the simplest calculations and then moving on to more complex ones. The end result is a finite and physically meaningful result.

4. What are the limitations of perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory?

One limitation of perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory is that it only works for theories with a small number of particles interacting with each other. For theories with a larger number of particles, non-perturbative techniques may be necessary. Additionally, perturbative renormalization may not be able to fully remove all divergences, leading to residual infinities in the theory.

5. How is perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory related to other renormalization techniques?

Perturbative renormalization in Phi 4 theory is a specific type of renormalization technique used in quantum field theory. It is closely related to other renormalization techniques, such as dimensional regularization and mass renormalization, which are also used to remove divergences in quantum field theories. However, perturbative renormalization is specifically designed for the Phi 4 theory and may not be applicable to other theories.