Peskin & Schroeder p. 285, change of variables integration measure

In summary, the integration measure for the path integral after a unitary change of variables is calculated by considering a 4D spacetime lattice with volume L^4. The measure is defined in terms of two real numbers a and b, and the integration is done over the entire real line. The Jacobian of the measure is not equal to 1 if the parameterization is done correctly.
naele
I had a question about about the integration measure for the path integral after a unitary change of variables. First they consider a 4D spacetime lattice with volume [itex]L^4[/itex]. The measure is
[tex]
\mathcal{D}\phi = \prod_i d\phi(x_i)
[/tex]

They expand the field variables in a Fourier series [itex]\phi(x_i)=\frac{1}{V}\sum_n e^{-ik_n\cdot x_i}\phi(k_n)[/itex]. My questions are as follows:
1) Why do they consider the real and imaginary parts of [itex]\phi(k_n)[/itex] as independent variables?
2) Why do they re-write the measure as
[tex]
\mathcal{D}\phi(x)=\prod_{k_n^0>0}dRe\phi(k_n)dIm \phi(k_n)
[/tex]

I've never seen a measure re-written like that, I was wondering what allows them to do so.

There's already a thread about this here but I wasn't comfortable bumping a three year old thread, and the response didn't clear up my confusion.

I appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bear in mind that this is a functional measure. That means that what they're trying to do is consider every possible value that [itex]\phi(k)[/itex] could take on at position [itex]k_i[/itex]. Since the Fourier transform requires [itex]\phi[/itex] to be complex, we need a way to parameterize all of the complex plane. We can do this by defining [itex]\phi[/itex] in terms of two real numbers [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], by setting [itex]\phi(k) = a(k) + i b(k)[/itex], and integrating both of them over the entire real line, leading to an integration measure of [itex]da\:db[/itex]. Writing [itex]d Re\phi\:d Im\phi[/itex] is just another way of saying the same thing.

Last edited:
I think I understand that part now, thanks. I do have a problem still with the change of variables from [itex]\phi(x_i)\to\phi(k_n)[/itex]. I might be missing something, but there would presumably be a factor of [itex]V^{1/n}[/itex] from the 1/V factor in the Fourier series expansion. And then when I transform from [itex]\phi(k_n)\phi^*(k_n)\to Re \phi(k_n)Im \phi(k_n)[/itex] I get a Jacobian that's not equal to 1.

For your first question, I think the answer is that we're just dealing with the measure, not the full integral. So the 1/V will probably show up in the full integral expression.

As for the Jacobian of the measure, that one may have been my fault--I think you need to define the parameterization as [itex]\phi = \frac{a + ib}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] or something like that in order for the Jacobian to work out correctly.

Well the reason I thought there would be a factor is because, unless I'm doing something wrong, I thought the jacobian for [itex]\phi(x_i)\to\phi(k_n)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{V}e^{-ik_n\cdot x_i}[/itex]. Although now that I think about it, they do say that it is a unitary transformation, so presumably the Jacobian would have unit modulus, but I'm having difficulties checking that.

Related to Peskin & Schroeder p. 285, change of variables integration measure

1. What is the purpose of the change of variables method in integration?

The change of variables method in integration allows us to simplify the integration of a complicated function by substituting it with a simpler one. This can make the integration process easier and more efficient.

2. How do you perform a change of variables in integration?

To perform a change of variables, you must first choose a new set of variables and then substitute them into the original integral. This will create a new integral with the new variables, which can then be evaluated using the appropriate techniques.

3. What is the role of the Jacobian in the change of variables method?

The Jacobian is a determinant that represents how the change of variables affects the volume or area being integrated over. It is necessary in order to properly account for the change of variables and ensure that the integral is evaluated correctly.

4. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear change of variables?

A linear change of variables is one in which the new variables are linear combinations of the original variables. This results in a simplified integral that is easier to evaluate. A non-linear change of variables is one in which the new variables are not linear combinations of the original variables, making the integral more complicated.

5. Can the change of variables method be used for any type of integral?

The change of variables method can be used for most types of integrals, including definite and indefinite integrals. However, it is not always the most efficient method and may not always result in a simpler integral. As such, it is important to consider other integration techniques as well.