PF does not allow me to delete posts

• Thread starter Jarfi
  • Start date
In summary, PF has been simplified/dumbed down, but it is still possible to delete your posts. You have the same right to delete your posts as any other member.
Jarfi
I want to delete one of my posts, but PF has removed the functionality to allow this. Has PF been simplified/dumbed down? Is it trying to be more like facebook?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall that there ever was a delete your post function except for a short time after posting. (Edit: which I think is still there.)

Use the report button to report your post and ask for it to be deleted.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Ibix said:
I don't think there ever was a delete your post function except for a short time after posting.

Use the report button to report your post and ask for it to be deleted.
Im pretty sure there was, I have had an account on this forum for many years my dude

Jarfi said:
I want to delete one of my posts, but PF has removed the functionality to allow this. Has PF been simplified/dumbed down? Is it trying to be more like facebook?
You can delete your posts via the report button, i.e. ask a mentor to do this for you. IIRC then there is a certain time interval during which you can do it yourself. But in order to guarantee readability, it is not possible to delete parts in the middle of a discussion.

If you want to delete entire threads, then you possibly demand to delete all answers, too. This is rude and an affront to all you took the effort to answer you. We try to be polite instead. Members who answer questions do this voluntarily, and we depend on their attitude to help. How would you react if your high-quality answers were deliberately deleted? How many of those actions would you tolerate before you stopped answering at all? Hence deletion of threads with valuable answers is not allowed.

Likes dextercioby, DaveE, Bystander and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
You can delete your posts via the report button, i.e. ask a mentor to do this for you. IIRC then there is a certain time interval during which you can do it yourself. But in order to guarantee readability, it is not possible to delete parts in the middle of a discussion.

If you want to delete entire threads, then you possibly demand to delete all answers, too. This is rude and an affront to all you took the effort to answer you. We try to be polite instead. Members who answer questions do this voluntarily, and we depend on their attitude to help. How would you react if your high-quality answers were deliberately deleted? How many of those actions would you tolerate before you stopped answering at all? Hence deletion of threads with valuable answers is not allowed.
Actually it was my own thread I wanted to delete because it was no longer relevant. I understand your logic, but I disagree as I feel I should have the right to delete it, my question is not your property. You have the same stance towards account deletion? Do you sell data to "ad" vendors?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Jarfi said:
Actually it was my own thread I wanted to delete because it was no longer relevant.
It might not be relevant to you, but the question is still relevant to others who read it and the answer you received! We received your report and are discussing it.
Jarfi said:
I understand your logic, but I disagree as I feel I should have the right to delete it, my question is not your property.
Only until you hit the send button. Then you transfer your rights.
Jarfi said:
You have the same stance towards account deletion?
Yes, except we are forced to delete it by law. But e.g. your account cannot be traced to your person, so it is already decoupled from you as a person. 'Jarfi' could be anybody.
Jarfi said:
Do you sell data to "ad" vendors?
No.

Likes Astronuc and russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
Yes, except we are forced to delete it by law. But e.g. your account cannot be traced to your person, so it is already decoupled from you as a person. 'Jarfi' could be anybody.
Except that you asked for my email address for registration, so not "decoupled" at all. Whoever owns the access to PF databases will have the ability to do whatever with the user data at one point if it becomes more commercialized, and sell it to data vendors

As I said, we don't do this. And if your account will be deleted, then we erase the account and only keep the posts under usually a new username. Your thread has been deleted by the way.

Jarfi said:
my question is not your property
Nor are my answers yours.

Likes Astronuc, dextercioby, StoneTemplePython and 1 other person
Jarfi said:
Report the thread you want to be removed and we will consider, but not promise. Threads are for the benefit of the community and guests and should be thought of as permanent. Your other concerns can be addressed by reading our guidelines and privacy policies. Links are in our footer.

fresh_42 said:
As I said, we don't do this. And if your account will be deleted, then we erase the account and only keep the posts under usually a new username. Your thread has been deleted by the way.
Difficult to comprehend. Maybe try to explain or clarify?

symbolipoint said:
Difficult to comprehend. Maybe try to explain or clarify?
Account deletion does not delete posts, only the account details. Sometimes the account is renamed to something like user12345 before deletion; sometimes the username remains associated with the posts.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and symbolipoint
Jarfi said:
Actually it was my own thread I wanted to delete because it was no longer relevant. I understand your logic, but I disagree as I feel I should have the right to delete it, my question is not your property. You have the same stance towards account deletion? Do you sell data to "ad" vendors?
If you don't like the way this forum is run, and/or agree to the terms and conditions of this forum, don't come to, and use, PF. plane @ simple Sorry if this sounds rude, but I suspect many will agree with me.

Likes russ_watters, weirdoguy, Bystander and 1 other person
StevieTNZ said:
If you don't like the way this forum is run, and/or agree to the terms and conditions of this forum, don't come to, and use, PF. plane @ simple Sorry if this sounds rude, but I suspect many will agree with me.
I can both agree and disagree at the same time. One must understand, when you make a post, and then some or more members respond to your post, then can you answer, just exactly who owns the posts and any following replies? Now,... think more carefully whenever you make a post, start a topic, or respond or reply to any posts.

Jarfi said:
I feel I should have the right to delete it
You should read the forum rules. I agree w/ @StevieTNZ --- if you don't like the rules, find a forum where you DO like the rules.

Likes Bystander
StevieTNZ said:
Some prospective or possible new members are not really ready to become PF members, yet they may still successfully join (and ultimately, post messages to PF). How does physicsforums verify or certify that the person is ready and qualified to be a physicsforums member? No way to do it. Everything is done online, with nobody examining the new member in detail. So PF posts some rules somewhere! This does not mean the member can handle the rules.

Likes Bystander
This discussion becomes ridiculous. If someone attends a wedding and writes a few lines in the book for guests, the page in the book hardly becomes their property.

Likes Frabjous, Astronuc, DaveE and 6 others

1. Why can't I delete my posts on PF?

The platform may have specific rules or guidelines regarding post deletion. It is also possible that the post you are trying to delete violates the platform's terms of use.

2. Can I request for my posts to be deleted on PF?

Yes, you can reach out to the platform's support team and request for your posts to be deleted. However, they may have certain conditions or requirements for post deletion.

3. Is there a time limit for deleting posts on PF?

Some platforms may have a time limit for post deletion, while others may not. It is best to check the platform's rules or contact their support team for more information.

4. What happens to my posts after I delete them on PF?

Once you delete your posts, they may no longer be visible to other users. However, it is possible that the platform may still have a copy of your posts in their database.

5. Can I delete someone else's posts on PF?

No, you can only delete your own posts on most platforms. If you come across a post that violates the platform's rules, you can report it to the appropriate authorities for further action.