Does the Gender Ratio on PF Reflect the Wider Physics Community?

• Thread starter kered rettop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
kered rettop
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to find out whether the male/female/other ratio here is similar to that in the general physics community?
It seems to me that everyone I've engaged with on PF is male!

Food for thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
As a biologist who hangs out at PF, what is the male/female/other ration in the physics world?

In the biological world, I think the male/female ration is close to 1:1. The other fraction is unknown to me.

• Informative
Likes PeroK and kered rettop
This looks like it falls into the category of "here's a big job that someone else can do for me."

Some things worth thinking about:
  • How do you know the sex of the poster? Maybe you can guess by the user name, maybe you can't.
  • Why do you think PF should match the demographics of professional physicists?

Constructing a poll isn't that difficult and I expect that OP would be up for that.

Speaking for myself, I am at least somewhat curious to see how much the PF demographics match that of publishing physicists.

I do have some concern about the accuracy of any data we might gather though. It is a sad fact that many many women (less so here than on less strictly moderated sites - I hope) conceal their gender online.

Likes pinball1970, mfb and BillTre
Nugatory said:
Constructing a poll isn't that difficult and I expect that OP would be up for that.

Speaking for myself, I am at least somewhat curious to see how much the PF demographics match that of publishing physicists.

I do have some concern about the accuracy of any data we might gather though. It is a sad fact that many many women (less so here than on less strictly moderated sites - I hope) conceal their gender online.
Good idea. I would have thought that the machinery of a poll would ensure anonymity. Maybe check with Greg? But how would one compensate for self-selection - perhaps men have a greater or lesser tendency to answer polls? Ooh, I know! Let's make the poll compulsory!