Lightning -- real simulation

Hopper_18
TL;DR Summary
For an honors project for my ENM class I was thinking about creating an actual lightning cloud to better study lightning.
Hello,

I’m not 100% where to post this but I think it fits best here.

I am currently a community college student who is trying to do an honors project for my electronegativity and magnetism course. I am interested in meteorology and know that there are aspects of lightning that are unknown. I was therefore hoping to create a project that would combine my love of meteorology with enm to make a cool honors project.

I was thinking of making a laboratory environment where cumulonimbus cloud could be made by creating a warm updraft, through the use of some heating device on ground and then get the temperature at the top of the area to be 25F. I would also add some silver iodide, for cloud seeding ingredient to effectively make a cloud.

However, I can’t seem to find a ratio of how much I would need to make a specific size cloud so if anyone can direct me that would be greatly appreciated. Once the cloud was made I’d get some very negative above the cloud so that by inductance the cloud part near the ground would become negatively charged.

I can slowly work up to the point where the inductance is great enough on the cloud that the electron initiate a creatation of a stepped leader which could then be scaled to determine if it follows with real atmospheric models. Does anyone think this could be physically done in a community college lab or is this to ambitious or just not feasible? Also if when reading this anyone has any other ideas for interesting meteorology projects feel free to share! Thank you in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is far too ambitious an experiment.

The shape of the lightning ionisation path is dependent on scale.
A breakdown and following discharge through air happens in a curved path, an arc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law

Charges move in the atmosphere by attachment to air molecules, pollutants and to water droplets. Merging droplets merge their charge. Droplets, that fall to the base of a cloud, evaporate and concentrate charge in the cloud base. That all happens in clouds. A lab is too small to demonstrate that complexity and scale experimentally.

There has never been an experiment that shows how half-melted hailstones, (graupel), can be rubbed together in the tops of thunderclouds, to generate static electricity by friction. Don't waste your time in that field. As a source of the charge for lightning, that is looking more and more like a persistent myth and a distraction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

If rain showers are common, you could measure the charge falling to the ground on the raindrops, by catching them on a metal mesh with an electrometer amplifier to measure the charge. I have watched individual drops dumping charge onto a bare-wire radio antenna, but only at the very start of rain showers, the effect disappeared once the steady rain set in.

If it does not rain often in your location, you could measure the electric field in the air by the use of a field mill. Building and calibrating the mill might become the entire experiment. All the details you need are on the web.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_mill

Hopper_18 said:
Does anyone think this could be physically done in a community college lab or is this to ambitious or just not feasible?
Too ambitious, by a lot. Really, really, really hard to do. They also may not like the high voltages you'll have to use to generate the arc discharge.

First, I agree - too ambitious. We don't get lightning in our kitchens every time we boil water.

Next, read Ulam's book on lightning. You'll enjoy it.

A question that is at least 100x less ambitious and probably still too much so. What color is lightning? Does it change during the stroke? Are all bolts the same color?

What is "Lightning -- real simulation"?

"Lightning -- real simulation" refers to the use of advanced computer models and simulations to replicate the behavior and characteristics of lightning in a realistic manner. These simulations are used for research, to improve safety protocols, and to enhance the understanding of lightning phenomena.

How do real simulations of lightning work?

Real simulations of lightning typically involve complex mathematical models that mimic the electrical and atmospheric conditions that lead to lightning formation. These models can include variables such as atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity, and electric field strength. Simulations are run on powerful computers that can process the extensive data and interactions within the model.

What are the benefits of simulating lightning?

Simulating lightning allows scientists to study the conditions leading to lightning strikes and their effects without the inherent risks of field studies. It also helps in improving the design of lightning protection systems, understanding the impact of lightning on power systems, and enhancing weather prediction models.

Can these simulations predict when and where lightning will strike?

While simulations are becoming increasingly sophisticated, predicting the exact time and location of a lightning strike remains extremely challenging due to the complex and chaotic nature of weather systems. However, simulations can help in identifying potential hotspots and conditions conducive to lightning, thereby improving general forecasts and warnings.

Are there any limitations to lightning simulations?

Yes, there are several limitations. The accuracy of lightning simulations depends heavily on the quality and detail of the atmospheric data used, as well as the complexity of the mathematical models. Small variations in input data can lead to different outcomes, making it difficult to replicate exact real-world scenarios. Additionally, the computational resources required for high-resolution simulations can be substantial.