PF search feature -- Why is "Coonts" changed to "Counts"?

gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I just finished reading "Saucer," by Stephen Coonts. I was curious to see if this book had been discussed in the sci-fi forum. So I have been trying to search for "Coonts." No matter what I do, the search returns hits for "counts." Is there a way to make the search engine take the given keyword?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's really weird; I got the same behavior just now testing it. @Greg Bernhardt

Watch carefully as you type into the text box, you are arguing with the autocorrect which thinks you meant to type “counts”. When I quoted “Coonts” with the first letter capitalized I was able to foil the too-helpful robot after retyping it a few times.

Bad news is that this is the only thread that came up in the search

Likes russ_watters
I have no problems:
1692738081897.png

Likes russ_watters
And does our autocorrect learn from things typed site-wide, or is it done per-user? If the former we may have just taught it a new word.

Well, Firefox on Win10 here. When I went to the SciFi forums and did a search on Titles Only in this forum, there were no auto-correct options shown, and it went straight to counts with or without quotes on "coonts". Bug, IMO...

Likes russ_watters
Funny, now I am shown the "Did you mean..." choices, which I was not, earlier.

Nugatory said:
after retyping it a few times
I think I tried three times before starting this thread. coonts, "coonts", not sure if I tried "Coonts"

gmax137 said:
I just finished reading "Saucer," by Stephen Coonts. I was curious to see if this book had been discussed in the sci-fi forum.
If you start a thread there, I could reply and say that the two following books, Saucer - The Conquest and Saucer - Savage Planet are also good reads. But, since this is the Feedback Forum, I did not say that because I do not want to hijack this thread. :smile:

• Haha
Likes kered rettop
Nugatory said:
Watch carefully as you type into the text box, you are arguing with the autocorrect which thinks you meant to type “counts”.
What autocorrect? Does the forum search engine have it? That would be weird. I thought autocorrect corrects typing, not searches? I type "coonts" and I get coonts in the search, on Windows/Chrome. If I try it on my android phone on Chrome I still get "coonts" unless I hit the space bar which invokes the autocorrect, to "counts". @gmax137 what browser/system are you using?

Likes fresh_42
Hi @russ_watters I have Edge on Win11. But as mentioned it works now.

I don't know why a search would use auto correct, that's why I started this thread.

It's your browser or operating system doing that. Maybe it learned the word from your repeated attempts. Nothing to do with the forum.

Likes russ_watters
ditto : trying to Search for "closing velocity"

Using the "Newer Than" parameter, got back "Results for cooling velocity"

Without that parameter, worked as advertised.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
hmmm27 said:
ditto : trying to Search for "closing velocity"

Using the "Newer Than" parameter, got back "Results for cooling velocity"

Without that parameter, worked as advertised.
This depends very likely on local settings on the client side. Chrome gives me

1694606726012.png

for the same options, i.e. with a "Newer Than" date set.