PFC Offline Converters -- SEPIC, Cuk, Boundary Conduction Mode Flybacks

In summary, using a Cuk topology for an isolated offline power supply design for 25W or less is a more efficient option than using a SEPIC or Boost flyback topology. However, it is more complicated to use than a standard Boost PFC in DCM. Tapping multiple voltages off of a tapped-inductor buck topology DC-DC converter is also an option, but it has some significant regulation issues to consider.
berkeman
Mentor
I'm upgrading a non-PFC (power factor corrected) offline power supply design to include PFC for European deployment. The total output power is less than 25W, and the two output windings are around 20V.

I'm familiar with boost-flyback topologies for isolated PFC supplies, but that seems to have been passed up recently by other topologies to limit the peak intermediate storage capacitor voltages. SEPIC and Cuk topologies would seem to be much more efficient in terms of any capacitor voltages, but they involve extra complexity in terms of switch FETs.

Have any of you worked with offline PFC supplies in the 20W range that use one of these topologies? Can you let me know about the tradeoffs and why you chose the topology that you went with in the end? The Cuk topology seems to have some technical advantages (for the isolated version which I obviously need), but it seems to be a bit overly complicated compared to a SEPIC topology version.

The topology that I'm being recommended by the IC vendors is a boundary-conduction mode flyback followed by multiple buck down-converters, but that seems a bit clumsy compared to the SEPIC and Cuk converter topologies.

On a related question, have you had any experience with tapping multiple voltages off of a tapped-inductor buck topology DC-DC converter? This project is the first time I've heard of this option, and although it sounds okay at first suggestion by the IC vendors, I'm having a bit of a hard time with my initial visualization of the concept. The regulation loop is obviously only closed on one of the output voltages, but it seems like the cross-regulation issues would be pretty significant.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Berkeman,

It is surprising that you need PFC for something as low as 25W. As far as I know, EU mandates PFC for powers >= 70W (or was it 75W)? The other question is do you need isolation or not. If not, then use a standard Boost PFC in DCM which will be well suited for this application and then use a second stage that is a DC-DC however, it seems to be a bit cumbersome just by intuition for only 25W.

If the application is something like an LED driver you can use a PFC+isolated flyback all in one. Power Integrations, TI have many solutions and the former may even have a reference design online.

If it is not an LED driver you can also try the buck PFC stage. http://www.ti.com/tool/ucc29910aevm-730

HTH.

EU regulations seem to only apply under the 39th harmonic (of 50 HZ). Is it possible to go with a higher frequency?

I don't know, but it's a thought.

1. What is a PFC Offline Converter?

A PFC (power factor correction) Offline Converter is a type of power supply that converts AC power from a wall outlet into DC power that can be used to power electronic devices. It is commonly used in electronic devices to improve energy efficiency and reduce wasted power.

2. What are the different types of PFC Offline Converters?

The most commonly used types of PFC Offline Converters are SEPIC, Cuk, and Boundary Conduction Mode Flybacks. These converters use different circuit configurations to achieve power factor correction and are suitable for different applications.

3. How does a SEPIC Converter work?

A SEPIC (Single-Ended Primary Inductance Converter) Converter works by using a capacitor and an inductor to transfer energy from the input source to the output load. It is commonly used in low-power applications and is known for its simplicity and low cost.

4. What is the advantage of using a Cuk Converter?

A Cuk Converter is a type of PFC Offline Converter that offers high efficiency and low output ripple. It is ideal for applications that require high precision and low noise levels. Additionally, it can operate over a wide input voltage range, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

5. When is a Boundary Conduction Mode Flyback used?

A Boundary Conduction Mode Flyback is commonly used in high-power applications, such as LED lighting, where high efficiency and low cost are important factors. It operates by controlling the input voltage to achieve power factor correction and can provide high power output with minimal components.